Panic Stricken

My phone buzzed at 8:05pm.

Lucas<3: Where are you?

Me: Just a sec.

Lucas<3: No. Come out now.

Me: I'm coming, just wait a bit.

Lucas<3: We're already late, so get your ass out here!

Me: Late for what?

Lucas<3: Would you just…don't make me come for you lil' kitty. I'm serious.

Me: Okay, okay geez…

Lucas<3: If I don't see you walking through that front door in the next 10 seconds, I'm driving off.

I quickly put my jacket on, rattling the keys I was holding in my hand. My mother was sitting on the couch, watching some Spanish soap opera. It was pretty awkward when I asked her if I can go out with a friend…since that never happened before. She didn't know how to react, so she just stared at me with a blank expression on her face for a few seconds.

A few hours ago:

»Um, I should be worried…« She muttered away to herself. »Going out, a minor, with someone I don't know, at this hour…«

You see, my mom didn't quite understand things like other parents do, that mother instinct – she had to be taught how to feel that. She read books on that topic; How to talk so kids will listen, Raising children, Parents do make a difference, Understanding your child's emotions…She was doing her best to be a good mother, in her own way. Right now she was calculating all the information I gave her, coming to a logical conclusion.

»I'm sorry Skye, but you are a minor and I can't leave you to go out with a stranger without adult supervision.« Her blue eyes slightly twitched in expectation of my comeback. Her eyes were so much brighter than mine, like the sky right after it stops raining. If you looked closer you could see your reflection in those innocent pools of blue. Mine were dirty blue, almost green, something in between.

»Mom, I'm seventeen I can take care of myself. Plus, Lucas invited me, so it would be rude not to go.« I tried to persuade her.

»I'm sorry Skye, but I don't know that boy I simply can't…«

»Mom!« I cut her off. »He is the first friend I made…ever! Don't deny me that little social life that I can  get! I want to go out, I want to have fun, I want to be normal for a change! I don't want to sit in this goddamn house every single day, I don't want to be like…« I bit my tongue.

»Me.« She gave me a sad smile. »I know logical world seems cold, but to me…« She clenched her fists. »I was never good with making friends, but you…you're different.« She gently brushed my cheek. »You can go, but be home by midnight.«

»Or I'll turn into a pumpkin?« I smiled cheerfully.

»I don't get that reference. Cinderella didn't turn into a pumpkin, her carriage did.« And my mother was back.

»Nevermind.« I snorted.

Back to current time:

»Bye!« I yelled, grabbing the door handle.

»Wait!« My mom was nervously chewing on a lock of her long brown hair.

»Mom, I'm kinda in a hurry!« I tapped my foot anxiously.

»Just,« She was tugging on her hair. »be safe.«

»Okay! Bye!« I yelled again and ran through the door.