The Sleeping Beauty

»Emancipated?« Lucas repeated the word.

»Basiacly it means freeing someone from the control of another; especially a parent's authority and control over a minor child. If it's true what you say – that your father is an unfit parent, then you can get emancipated, if, and only if you have the means to support yourself. Which I believe you can achieve by getting an access to your trust fund, and finding a job – to prove the government that you can take care of yourself.« Mom explained. Like a dictionary.

»A job?« I looked at Lucas, questionably.

»Jobs in food industry seem to be popular among young people.« My mom acted like I asked her.

»I guess I could try.« Lucas ruffled his hair.

»Then I can provide you a form for emancipation of a minor – HB2428, which provides the ability for a child of 16 years or older to petition the court...«

»Petition the court?« Lucas cut my mom off. »You mean like – have a hearing on a court, stuff like that?«

»Yes. And as I said before, in order for the petition to be granted, the petitioner must meet a number of criteria...«

»But that could take months, right?« He interrupted my mom once again.

She took a deep breath, which she does normally when she's under a lot of stress. »Yes. And if you do not understand something, see an attorney for help. He will help you guard against undesired and unexpected consequences.«

»I don't have that much time...and I can't afford a lawyer...« He glared at the floor, thinking about something.

»Well, you can speed things up if you get your father to sign the documents himself. You won't need to have a hearing, only one visit to the court will be fine. About the attorney I can't help.« She explained in the most understanding way she could.

And that's when it hit me. »Mom you went to law school, right?«

»Yes, but...«

»And you did graduate? Which technically means you are a lawyer.« I was suddenly filled with hope and expectation.

»Yes, but I never put it to use.«

»Why not?« Lucas lifted his head.

»I'm not...what you would call a people person. I wouldn't be able to stand all the people around me, clients, judges, other lawyers...« She gazed trough our kitchen window. I could see a hint of regret in her eyes, mixed with fear and acceptance. I hated seeing her like that. When she knew she couldn't do something. Or didn't dare.

Lucas smirked, shaking his head.

»What?« Me and mom asked at the same time.

»You two are more alike than you think.« He smiled with his kind, now mellow eyes.

»Oh.« I felt my cheeks turning red. Was I embarrassed to be compared to my mom? Or was I just happy to finally share some resemblance with a family member? Either way...I realized something in this past few weeks. Nothing is as it seems, you can surprise not only others, but also yourself. You just need to get out of your comfort zone. If I could do it...so can my mom. »Mom, you can try.« I said.

»Skye, I don't know...« She shook her head.

»I know.« I smiled at her. I did know. And even if she gets to an obstacle, I will help her.

»I guess I could finally put that diploma to use. After all, I was optimistic once, I can try...again. But I can't promise anything.«

»It's just one visit to the court. We will be out of there in no time.« I tried to calm her down because I noticed that her hands were shaking.