Chapter Ten - first part

The police station was the best guarded building in the whole of Rome. Not even Vatican City was surrounded by those many cameras and alarm systems. The recently appointed head chief had been terribly scrupulous on the matter, revealing to the publish little to nothing about why such secrecy was required.

Isaac had extracted that information with a few kisses from his wife. The police station had been used for the past year to contain private information about any past collaborator of the dictator Mussolini. The people in those lists ... they were high up in the Roman society. The government couldn't exactly pardon them for their crimes but also couldn't get rid of them altogether. So they had settled for keeping them under scrutiny.

Valeria had been suspected of being a German spy, and as such, her file was in there. Including information on where she had been transferred to in France two years before.

Isaac tried not to think too much about how much time it had passed. Two years weren't long in an immortal's life, but he more than most knew it only took a few minutes to break someone's spirit. He hoped his friend wasn't one of those.

Isaac saw the alarm light blinking from the top of the roof and the two guards stationed at the only entrance. There was a single window at the back, locked from the inside. His idea had been to break the lock with magic and sneak someone in before the alarm sounded, but he hadn't expected the guards.

-I can make them fall asleep- he whispered. Him and the two immortals had been hiding from behind a bush in the park nearby. -But then I cannot possibly be at the back to unlock the window. -

-The door ... - tried Jane.

-The door is connected to another alarm - he concluded. -The window is the only way. -

Jane snorted.

-Ok fine, I can talk one into falling asleep and kick the other so that he ends up in the same way. -

Isaac raised an eyebrow but did not object to her plan.

-Which leaves me to climb up and sneak in. Great. - concluded Andre.

They all went into motion. Jane was the first one to get out of the bush and waved at the two guards.

Confusion sparked in their heart.

-Hello boys, does anyone want to have a good time tonight? - she smiled as she got closer.

Isaac didn't wait for the rest of the conversation as him and Andre run to the back.

The window was higher than he expected, a couple of meters at least, and way smaller than anticipated. He's closed his eyes and felt the lock pushing open under his will.

-I thought this was gonna be easier - he muttered.

-Try flirting with it. -

The boy was taken back by the statement. -What? -

-Seems to be your solution to anything these days. - Andre scrolled his shoulders.

Isaac fought the blushing raising to his cheeks.

-Maybe you can spill some wine on it. That will surely do the trick and not ruin the mission at all. -

He knelt down to allow Andre to climb onto his shoulders. He did so without too many cerimonies. He could swear he kicked him in the face on purpose.

Andre reached for the window and grunted in pain when he couldn't touch it.

-I will push you up - Isaac suggested.

Andre's legs unwrapped from his neck and Isaac used his arms as a lever to push his back closer to the wall.

-Try not to enjoy this too much. -

Isaac realised where his hands were and a laugh escaped his lips.

-Cannot assure you anything. -

With a last push, Andre grabbed the window cealing. And right when Isaac thought everything was working out perfectly fine, their plan still went to crap.

Jane screamed and Isaac turned in her direction, leaving Andre hanging by one hand on the window, two meters from the ground.

-Go help her, I have got this! - shouted Andre.

He gave his friend a long last look and run for Jane.

The immortal had taken care of one of the guards as she had predicted. What she hadn't predicted, was that the one who she was meant to attack physically, had a gun.

To avoid being shot, the girl had both her hands behind her back and her face towards the wall. The guard had stuffed some kind of cloth in her mouth, preventing her from talking. Isaac guessed he must have somehow understood that Jane was able to convince him to do anything like she had done with his colleague.

-Crazy witch - cursed the guard.

He might have not said witch.

Before he noticed his presence, Isaac wrapped his shadows around the man's mind and he screamed blindly. Unfortunately, this had happened just a second too late. The guard had had enough time to press the main alarm button, a loud siren now ringing into his ears.

Blinding lights were coming from everywhere, disorienting him enough to allow the guard to regain his senses. He screamed some nonsense in Italian, still not capable of mouthing words correctly.

Jane freed herself of her ties and run for the back of the building, telling him to follow.

Isaac didn't wait for a second longer. He hoped Andre had been able to climb back up from the inside.

Voices started to ring in his ears: reinforcements had arrived.

Isaac's heart missed a beat as he saw the figure of Andre lowering himself from the window, a piece of paper in his hands.

Jane run past him, aiming for the car they had hidden just behind the building. She turned it on as some dogs started to bark in their directions.

-They are behind the station! - screamed someone.

A shot fired. Andre screamed. 

As if in slow motion, Isaac saw the bullet piercing his friend's arm from side to side and Andre releasing his grip on the window cealing. The noise of broken bones echoed in the night as his legs touched the ground.

Andre's cry of pain broke something inside him.

Isaac let go of his magic and he blacked out.