Chapter Nine - first part

Jane's progress was slow but steady. The first few months, she was barely able to get out of bed, speak a few words at the time. After a while, she started joining their physical training.

It hurt Isaac to admit it, but Jane was way better than both him and Andre combined. None of them spoke of it, but they knew it was because she had completed her path-changer training. If the others immortals were as trained as she was ... they did not stand much of a chance in hand to hand combact.

Jane told them about the mist forest. It was his first time in over a decade to hear about his old home, but none of the warmth feelings resurfaced. The immortal remembered about the missing children, but nothing much else. Her memories had been taken the moment she had left the forest.

Isaac had joined again the Roman inner circles high class societies under a fake name. There was still a chance someone could recognise him, but he was careful about shutting down any suspicions.

He needed those people to get access to the police files.

After two months of flirting back and forth with a middle aged woman, she had finally accepted to go out for supper with him. She was the wife of the head chief of the Roman polizia.

The restaurant was the most high class place he had ever entered. Enormous crystal chandeliers hung off the tall ceiling. Each table could accommodate for two people, but really at least ten could have fit in the space. Isaac touched the table cloth with his fingertips. It was softer than his clothes. Hell, it was softer than his own skin.

The woman was late, as usual. She probably took some time to make up some business excuse with her husband to be there with him. As she sat down at the table, Isaac gave her a broad smile. She puffed her chest up and fixed her purple and pink dress. Given how perfectly the fabric wrapped around her toned body, the body guessed it must have been sewed just for her. The purple brought out the green colour of her green eyes.

The woman must have been beautiful in her golden years, and even now she could have easily had wrapped around her fingers any younger man she desired. That was why she hadn't double questioned Isaac's proposal, despite him looking so much younger.

-Clara you look marvellous tonight- he kissed her hand.

The woman smiled and left her back on the bag of the chair. Isaac tried not to look too intently at it. That was its target, the keys to her husbands office were just a few inches from his reach. He would do just about anything to get them.

The waiter arrived a few moments after to get their orders. Being the perfect higher class gentlem he pretended to be, Isaac ordered the most expensive wine on the menu and some exotic sounding meat.

Andre would not be happy he spent their rent money on a single dinner.

As the dinner progressed along, Clara got closer and closer to him, chatting about politics and laughing at his charming jokes.

-I swear to you! The congressman actually tried to get me into his bed after a few drinks! - he told her. Not that that was a lie.

Clara laughed and placed a hand over his knee. He faked enjoyment as her thumb circled back and forth.

-I am not surprised Mark, you are quite a pretty thing to hold on to. And so well spoken as well, your wife must be very jealous all the time-

He grinned at the untold question.

-Thankfully no wife is concerned with my well being. -

Clara's hand gripped onto his leg.

-Can I get you anything else sir, Madame? - a different waiter had come along.

Isaac's glare was met by a pair of golden striped eyes. Andre's freckled nose was flinching at every touch the woman inflicted on him, but was trying hard not to show it.

Isaac frowned. Andre and Jane had infiltrated the restaurant as waiters in case anything went wrong with the original plan. They were not meant to intervene otherwise.

-All good thanks - Clara waved him away like she would a moschito. The woman went back to leaning closer and closer to Isaac, but Andre didn't leave.

He grabbed the bottle of wine instead and went to fill their glasses up. A move innocent enough, if it hadn't been for the fact that he decided to accidentally spill half of it on Clara's lap.

Clara jumped up with a scream and slapped Andre right in his face. It took Isaac all of his self control to not snap the woman's neck in two.

-You worthless piece of crap! Do you have any idea of how expensive this dress is?! - she frantically tried to clean the stain with her tissue.

The commotion had reached every angle of the restaurant. Voices started to go around the room, a few laughters in his direction. He had no doubt Clara brought all of her playthings in the same restaurant. In the blink of an eye, Jane had appeared next to them with an apologetic smile on her face.

-We are deeply sorry Madame, would you like a dessert on the house? - she asked politely.

Clara pushed her unceremoniously away. -I WANT to speak to the manager and get this ... this thing fired. -

Jane's smile didn't falter.