Chapter Four - second part

His own heart started racing in anticipation. The police sirens had stopped. A gun shot echoed through the silent Rome and Isaac sprinted.

The immortal pushed through the small crowd that had formed around the police car, making his way towards his friend.

He could hear her voice, screaming in rage at the policeman.

Isaac slowed down.

Why was her friend not escaping? How did they manage to capture her?

Isaac peaked from the front of the crowd.

A police car had stopped a few meters from him, three armed police officers were pointing their gun at a girl in a blue dress on the ground. Isaac's gut twisted at the sight of his friend, laying on the floor, wounded and in chains. Someone had shot her leg. Immortals healed fast, but not that fast to allow her to run away.

-My husband Isaac, you have to let me see him! - she screamed, loud enough he could hear it.

The officer muttered something in reply that he didn't catch, but could well guess what he was saying. There would be a trial, and she could see him then. Isaac almost fell to his knees at the realisation.

There could NOT be a trial, because Valeria Menotti did not exist. They were all fake identities. They would take her prisoner until someone real showed up to assure for her. The only problem was that there was no real person they knew. No one they had known for more than a year.

Valeria stopped trashing as if she had understood that too. Her face was unusually pale, as if all the energy had been drained out of her skin. She fought against her handcuffs but her wrists only ended up scratching.

Isaac knew his friend wasn't particularly magically gifted, but even her could have easily gotten out of a metal rope. What was holding her back? Was she taking her time to not attract any attention? Yes, that was more like it.

He decided to take a risk and asked another person in the crowd information about the capture.

-Uh don't know man - said a teenager, barely above fifteen. -Apparently she was attacking another lady, the widow. Who has now ... well, also run away. Not sure what to tell you. -

Isaac frowned. So the other immortal had run away, and his friend was in chains. What a successful trip they have had. Andre was not going to be happy.

"Oh dear Nature, Andre will kill me" he thought with absolute certainty, then he shook his head.

The police was gonna come looking for them, the husband and the sister of the attacker, for a testimony.

He slowly receded to not attract any attention.

Isaac avoided running when other people were around, and sprinted as soon as the Roman alleys were clear. He considered cutting through the Colosseum, but he figured that would raise a few questions.

He jumped over the stairs of his apartment two by two, ripping his nice suit and pulling his muscles to the extremes.

He opened the door with shaking hands and found Andre leaning on the kitchen table, preparing some more healing creams.

His heart did a little back flip at the sight of her long brown hair, but this was not the time for his stupid feelings.

-We have a big problem -