Chapter Seven - fourth part

It had been more than two thousand years ever since they had touched like this, but Isaac remembered with painful detail every curve of Andre's jaw, the shape of his neck, the softness of his hair in his hands. He knew where to touch and how.

Andre was so deeply confused. First, by the strength of his own emotions, then by the sudden kiss, now by his reaction to the kiss.

Just like Isaac, Andre hadn't forgotten anything about him. Or maybe he was just a very good kisser. Isaac didn't really want to focus on how many people there had been in between them.

Andre's hands found the skin underneath his shirt, exploring the lines of his muscles, sending a shiver down his spine. He climbed on top of his lap and deepened the kiss.

Isaac's thoughts turned to jelly as Andre's hands travelled further down his back.

He wanted this. He wanted him.

"Not like this, not when he doesn't know why he is doing it" said a small part of his brain.

"Just shut up for once" said another.

Isaac would have gladly listened to the second voice if only he hadn't heard Jane stirring from the other room.

He softly pulled away from Andre's kiss. His friend (they were still friends right?) looked even more confused. Blood raised to his cheeks as he realised there was practically no space between their bodies.

Andre stoop up so quickly he almost lost his balance in the process. He put a hand to his head trying to clear is mind.

-Well that was strange - Andre laughed. - Did you ... did you do something to my emotions as well? -

He didn't seem upset. He just kept looking around for an explanation as to why he suddenly felt love for an almost complete stranger. Isaac could have told him the truth, that the mist people had taken his memories but somewhere deep inside him they were still there. That he could help him access those memories. But what good would it do? Young immortals do not learn anything during their path-changer training. Nothing of importance for the mission could be found in those layers. And what if Andre had done something as terrible as he did? Did he really want to make his friend feel the same guilt that Jane and him shared?

What Andre had just suggested ... that he would ever do anything like controlling his emotions... it hurt him deeply.

-I would NEVER do that - he replied brushing the dust off his clothes. -I hoped you would know me enough to at least understand that. -

-No, Isaac, I didn't mean ... I swear, I am sorry - Andre tried to say as he started to walk away.

Isaac didn't let him finish.

-Goodnight Andre, I will take the first watch with Jane. -

And he closed the door.