Chapter Six - first part

Life in Pomezia was not easy.

It took Isaac three days to recover from iron poisoning, and he was now just barely strong enough to walk a few steps at the time before collapsing. He had never considered how many small things in everyday life became impossible lacking the ability to walk.

Going downstairs to get some food? Impossible.

Scouting for police? Terribly risky if you couldn't run away.

Getting newspapers? Challenging.

Going to the damn toilet? As if.

Isaac tried not to blush in shame at the thought of requiring Andre's assistance for shitting. It was as if destiny was playing with his emotions on purpose.

"oh you thought she could fall in love with you again? Try now that she has seen you covered in every possible body fluid and pissed yourself in the bed. That will do it."

And to make it all worse, Valeria had been transferred to France after the trial, and they had no idea why or where. Not that they could do much about it. They couldn't leave the country without IDs. So that only left ... waiting.

Despite his magic had come back to him, he had never felt so powerless.

Andre had just come back from grocery shopping. She practically threw the bags of food onto the small table, risking it breaking underneath the weight. She was on edge, Isaac could tell even if she pretended otherwise.

She glanced at him on the bed and faked a smile on her face.

-Do you ever just want to ... let go? - she asked surprising him.

Andre walked towards him and jumped on the bed, her brown hair spreading on the covers. He moved over slowly to give her space. She made a mocking face at him.

-Oh please, I can hold your head when you are throwing your guts up, but not brush my hand against yours? - she laughed.

-Why would you want to give up? - he changed the subject, moving his eyes away from her golden sight.

She waved his worries away.

-I am not going to, but ... mortals are just so BLIND. - she rolled her eyes. -We are trying to HELP them and all we get is one of us captured and no way of getting her out. -

Isaac shuddered. -We are going to get her out. -

Andre closed her eyes and put both her hands over her forehead.

-When you say it with that soft voice of yours I would believe anything. -

She hadn't intended it as a compliment, but Isaac blushed anyways. Stupid blood of his.

He was about to open his mouth and say something that would make even his velvet voice sound stupid, when a knock on the door startled them.

Andre raised from the bed and cautiously peaked from the door.

-Who is this? - she asked politely.

-I am looking for the ... Isaac? - replied a familiar voice. He sounded pretty confused.

Andre looked at him questioning and he raised his shoulders clueless.

She opened the door just enough to have a look at the man behind it.

-Who is looking for him? - she asked with a cunning smile.

-Giacomo Treviso - he said. - I am ... the brother of of the engineer who was murdered. He told me I could look for you at this address. -

Andre shot him a killer glance and returned to the engineer a smile. She unlocked the door and let the man in.

The brother was thinner than Isaac remembered. It was as if the events of the past week had left him even more hollow than he already was after the brother's death.

As soon as he saw him, the brother bowed. Like... actually bowed in front of the bed. Isaac's mouth hung open at loss for words.

-Ehm ... rise... please? - he said after a while.

The man's blue eyes sparkled with madness.

-My Saviour - he saluted. -I know my brother has done something terrible for which he was punished by one of your followers, but please, spare me. I will try to undo his wrongs so he can go to the other side. -

-Look sir, I have no idea what you are ... -

-My Lord will look into it - interrupted Andre, her arms crossed. - But you must know that your brother's murder was not our doing. One of ... our followers as betrayed us. It is them who needs to pay. What can you tell us about your brother's widow? -

The man seemed more at ease in talking to Andre than to him. She had made him sit in the kitchen and offered him some food as he told them the story.

The immortal who had infiltrated the man's life went by the name of Jane. She had met his younger brother over six years before and they married after two. According to him, they were young and wild and irresponsible, mostly his brother's doing, but his young partner did not follow far behind. His hands twitched as he started to describe her. He believed she was the devil incarnated. Beautiful and demanding and fierce, as if anything could and should be hers. When his brother was murdered, she cried but he could tell she was not feeling anything. He started suspecting her on being involved soon after. Especially when she had seemed so interested in those projects that his brother had kept secret until his death.

Andre held his shaking hands and nodded at the right times. Isaac tried to emulate her, but his emotions were still too wild, too fresh, for him to show his true colours. He could hardly keep his magic under control. He was angry, of course, but not towards the immortal. This Jane might have been the knife, but the mist people were the ones who were wielding it.

He didn't think anyone was beyond saving, maybe they could reason with her.