Chapter Six - third part

-You cannot be serious-

"Well that was quick and painful" his brain thought as his heart cracked a bit.

-No, no! That is not what I meant - she added after perceiving the shift in his feelings.

-Look, it doesn't matter. I get it. - he muttered. - But you can trust me, I just ... don't like to advertise it all right? And please don't tell Valeria or I will never hear the end of it. -

Andre did not seem to hear him.

-But how can you ... I mean you have seen me, right? You know I don't always look like this? -

As a proof of what she had just said, a golden light enveloped her and the immortal's body shifted. It only lasted a few seconds, but it left Isaac's eyes burning. When he was able to see again, Andre had shifted into her male body. It was as if she had just stabbed him in the heart.

He liked Andre no matter what they identified with at the moment, he wasn't particularly picky on which form. But the male face was the first one he fell in love with. It brought memories with it, memories that he was no ready to revisit. Knowing that Andre had access to his feelings, he focused instead of his eyes and the shape of his mouth and the lines of his shoulders. The clothes he was wearing were now too tight coming from his female form, revealing way more than they should have. Isaac blushed as he tried to cover the pain of heartbreak with ... other emotions.

-Well, that is peculiar - concluded Andre, his voice still too high pitched for his male version.

In a matter of seconds, he shifted back into his female form. Isaac knew his friend wasn't comfortable shifting into a form they did not recognise as accurate for their feelings.

-We are immortals trying to fight people made of mist and magic and the fact that I like both genders is peculiar? - he laughed, for the first time he felt like a boulder had been lifted from his shoulders. At least he didn't have to hide his unconditional love for his friend anymore. Much.

Andre laughed with him. She had the ability to make him feel at ease even then.

-Oh dear Nature no, that is not what I meant - she pushed him gently on his arm. -Just you liking me is not what I was expecting from this conversation. Especially because you look ... well, like you. -

"Liking, loving, would die for. Same difference" he thought.

-What does that even mean? - he asked out loud. His voice might have sounded a bit more feminine than intended.

Before Andre could reply, a sudden noise startled them from the back of the park. Isaac turned, sword in his hand and ready to attack.

He lowered it as soon as he noticed Giacomo, panting from a run and holding a letter in his hands. His gray hair were glued to his face from the sweat, but his expression was serene.

-Jane has accepted -