Chapter Two - first part

Isaac hated washing dishes. Or tidying up after the younger children. Or doing anything, really, that did not involve spending time with Andre.

Spying on the mortal world for his mortal studies was one of the many tasks he had started to find tedious.

Once, he would have loved the opportunity to wait all by himself in the forest, surrounded by animals and smells of flowers, peaking through the leaves to look at the Greeks going about their lives.

Now, the only thing he could think about was "What would Andre say now?" And "I wonder what Andre is doing at the moment." Or "I wish Andre was here".

The Greeks had a word for that incessant feeling. Love.

In observing them, he had seen young couples strolling by the streets countless times. Their giggly laughs, their stupidly happy faces. He wished he didn't have to suppress it all the time, but he had to. For his and Andre's sake.

The worst part was knowing that his friend did not feel in the same way. Potentially, he couldn't.

The mist people had purged them both of them three times in the past six months. That was way more than what Isaac was used to, but his emotions kept resurfacing a few hours later every time. Andre on the other hand ... he was different. It took him longer and longer to get back to his original state.

Sometimes ... sometimes Isaac wished he was a mortal. Even if that meant sure death. He wanted to leave that place, even if everyone of his cells screamed at him not to. And it wasn't just for Andre's sake, although that was what had made him realise what he wanted. He wanted to be free.

A hand touched his shoulder and he almost crawled into fetal position. Did anyone hear his thoughts? Did the mist people ordered his death?

-Chill Isaac, it's me - saluted Andre.

He sat next to him and started observing the mortals going around for groceries. A little girl dropped an apple and started playing with it like a ball.

-So today was a rotten day - his friend started. -Went to sword fighting practise and practically kicked everyone's ass, that was fun. Then tried to learn this new language that has been running in Italy ... I think they call it Latin, and that was also brilliantly easy. But I had been waiting for the entire day to see you in mortal relations and YOU WERE NOT THERE. It took me ages to track you down. -

-Seems to me like a pretty good day - he objected. The corners of his mouth lifted automatically. -Plus I don't really have any control over my schedule. -

Andre grabbed his hand to capture his attention. Isaac muttered something clever like "uhm sure yeah?".

-I am immortal now -

Something inside Isaac shuttered.

-Oh ... -

Andre had turned eighteen the month before. It was only a matter of time before his body realised it and froze his aging process.

But if Andre was immortal and had been passing all of his classes with excellence, it could only mean one thing.

-You are leaving for the mortal world - he said. It was not a question.

Andre's grip on his hands tightened. -The mist people said I need to be purged one last time and then ... then they are going to take my memories of the camp. They cannot risk letting the knowledge of our secrets in the mortal world. -

Isaac would have preferred a whip on his back any day over this. He couldn't look his friend in the eyes.

-You are going to forget the camp and never come back. - his voice was so low he could barely hear it.

Andre's heart sparked with emotion. He tilted Isaac's face towards his own, forcing him to look at the golden streaks in his iris. 

.....

Author's note: 

Triple update today because it's my birthday! Enjoy!!