Chapter Seven - second part

-Isaac ... - warned Andre.

He saw shadows dancing around his feet, little springs of magic erupting wildly for no reason. Isaac looked at his friend and his heart brought him back to reality.

-I can make her talk, but you need to get out - he decided coldly.

Andre raised an eyebrow. - I am not that squimish, I can break bones as easily as you. -

Isaac sighed. -I am not going to break her bones. -

Andre nodded in understanding, but sat down on the kitchen chair eating a sandwich.

He did not want him to see him doing using that side of his magic. Hell, he wouldn't have wanted to see it either. But he knew it was the only way of getting the mist people location in time.

He looked at Jane once again and then snapped his fingers. The magic wrapped around Jane's mind like a snake, holding it tighter and tighter until Isaac had her thoughts in his control. First, he took away her physical senses. Jane cried disoriented. She could not feel, smell, hear, taste or touch. She was nothing as long as her body went. Isaac could feel her heartbeat increasing, knowing she herself couldn't.

-Give me the location - he said softly. -And this will be over soon. -

He didn't look behind him. He did not want to see the look of scare in Andre's face.

Jane whimpered.

He gave her enough of her voice back to answer to his mental question.

-Go fuck yourself -

Isaac sighed. -Not what I was looking for. - and he let darkness wrap her again.

Isaac didn't know for how long he continued to torture the girl. Minutes and hours and days all blend together. He only stopped for sleeping a few hours at the time, but resisted any food that Andre had tried to push down his throat. He would not eat until the hateful task had finished.

Isaac was wrapped in his own darkness and almost didn't notice the memory melting with the present.

He was back in the mist forest, observing the humans from afar. Isaac was alone. He had always been as far as he could remember, but it didn't bother him much. He had no feelings after all, none of the immortals did. He had just turned eighteen, the threshold of immortality. Isaac hadn't felt any different, but his magic had problems staying under control. More problems than usual anyways.

Isaac played around with the tunic that the mist people had ordered him to wear. It felt uncomfortable on his usually naked skin, a layer that trapped him. He always felt trapped, even when he was outside.

The boy heard his fellow immortals running towards him even before seeing them. Their mission had been to travel to a nearby village and get one of the humans out for information. What kind of information, he still wasn't sure about. He was just there to collect it, as the mist people had ordered.

He had never seen before the two immortals he was working with. The mist people kept shifting him from team to team for no apparent reason. They were a male and a female, looking pretty much identical for the exception that the female was wearing a long and puffy dress whilst the man simple pants and a colourful jacket.

The dumped the unconscious human male in front of him and slapped him a few times to wake him up. The man stunk with fear and piss. His lips were bloody and his green eyes were full of tears.

Isaac had no idea what his colleagues had done to reduce him in that state. He hoped to end it soon.

-Who are you? What do you want from me? - he shouted. When he tried to get up, the female kicked him down like she would have a stray dog.

It was Isaac's time to answer. The mist people had instructed him well.

-The map to the new world - he recited. - Who have you sold it to? -

The man spat on the ground, a growing fire in his heart.

Isaac snorted. Humans and their foolish emotions.

The other two immortals turned around and Isaac let his magic envelope the man's mind and heart. His pulse quickened, his breath became shallow, his tears more silent.

Isaac pulled the shadows and the man screamed as he repeated the question over and over and over again.

The boy didn't enjoy doing it, but it just felt so natural to release of all his magic in this simple act of hatred. The mist people had told him to make the man talk and he would oblige.

Something inside him cracked as he saw the man praying to his Gods for a good afterlife. He felt bile raising up his throat, but did not falter in his mission.

He would give in, they always did.

Eventually, Jane had started crying. They were not tears of sadness, but of deep glacial rage. Enough of an emotion to make him alter his shadows.

-Isaac? Are you all right? - asked Andre, carefully placing a hand over his shoulder.

He could have just crumbled to his feet and started crying himself, such kindness and gentleness hidden in that touch. He was pretty much a monster, and his friend was worried if he was all right?

Jane recovered her senses and blinked a few times to adjust to the light. Isaac saw into her eyes that she had not broken yet, her mind still remained unshattered. He could have easily pulled his magic enough to make her blabber all of the information they needed, but she would have never recovered from the trauma. Minds were like glass: once broken, it was impossible to bring the pieces back together.

Isaac had felt how close she was to the point of non return, but he had also felt something else.

Jane was angry, and immortals were not meant to have any emotions. Maybe there was one other way of getting the information.

-What have you done to me?! - she raged. Her eyes were filling with tears. -What is this ... this thing?! -