Chapter 17

Letting Samuel know where I was at I propped myself up against a tree and opened the book he had lent me it was a mystery suspense and very fast paced. I was really getting into it  when someone lightly kicked my knee and muttered a “hey babe" dragging my attention away from a major plot twist.

I looked up at a slender boy with dark raven hair that appeared as though he had just woken up and his clothes seemed to be in the same state his wrinkled grey shirt saying “Truck this".

Something about him reminded me of one of the vultures from the jungle book adding to my annoyance

“Good book?”

“Not at all but I continue to read it just to avoid conversations with strangers”

“You’re funny. So what’s your name babe?”

“If I give it to you I risk you not calling me by anymore charming pet names.” I thought my voice was carrying about annoyance but he now sat across from me on the grass. I tucked my legs underneath me and clutched the open book to my chest feeling extremely uncomfortable.

“Well then give me your number and I can call you whatever and whenever you want.”

Okay, where are my big brothers when I actually need them.. I looked desperately around only hoping to see Samuel only to find a group of boys not far off watching our exchange, clearly his friends. Suddenly I remembered something my brothers told me in high school and felt a little braver.

“S-sure.” The boy brightened up and turned to give his friends a smug look while handing me his phone. I quickly typed in Leo’s phone number before handing it back.

“Great, I’ll text you later babe.” he winked before running up to his friends receiving claps on the back.

Shaking my head I went back to reading my book until Sam showed up a few minutes later. Any nerves I had were chased away and I smiled up at him as he helped me stand.

"Do you mind if we go to the dinner?"

"I'd love to!"

"Great." He draped his arm around me tucking me into his side as we walked.

The diner had more customers than yesterday and this time we headed right through the kitchen door way.

“I just have to help Tilda with this one thing, will you be alright for a bit?” he helped me onto a barstool at a large stainless steel counter top opposite to where Joel worked at the stove.

“She'll be fine Sammy-boy. I’ll keep an eye on the pretty girl.” Joel said giving me a wink

“That’s what worries me.”

“I’m good, go help Tilda.” I nudged him forward hiding my anxieties about being left alone.

“How are you doing Princess?”

“I'm doing okay and you?

“Oh I am marvelous, I get to watch the prettiest girl while I work.” I rolled my eyes blushing lightly. “What do you mean just okay? Sammy-boy treating you alright?”

“Of course he’s wonderful-" I quickly slammed my mouth shut my eyes wide

“Wonderful huh? Well its clear my charms are wasted on you.”

"That's implying you have charms." I mumbled loud enough for him to hear

"Ouch you wound me princess."

"Sorry." I said sweetly while blushing

"I don't think I believe you." He huffed

“Joel are you teasing my sweet girl?” Tilda came in and sat beside me.

“Did you know she thinks our Sam is “wonderful".” he exaggerated batting his eyelashes.

“Of course she does she has a good head on her shoulders,”