Chapter 16

Walking through the diner door was like being transported to the north pole. I remember last time thinking the tinsel covered diner was a lot to take in but now everything was outlined in cotton snow as well and pressed into a corner was a large velvet thrown looking chair with a sign announcing Santa’s visit. Buddy the elf would be proud.

“Watch out for mistletoe… she can be pretty sneaky with it.”

“I feel underdressed. Like I should be dressed as an elf or something.”

“You'd be quite the cute elf. But don’t worry your blush gets red enough you’ll fit right in.”

A few family’s and groups of teens spread out in the little diner and we found an available booth off to the side. A waitress came and took our orders then left announcing Tildy would be the one to bring it out.

“So what did your teacher say about your short story?”

The way he propped his chin on his hands, leaning in slightly, his eyes focused solely on me sparking with real interest, it brought a real smile to my face.

Despite this show of interest I was grateful when we were interrupted by a loud squeal and someone crashing through the kitchen doors.

“Oh! Look at you two!” Tildy came running up to us as we both stood to greet her and she crushed us both in a mama bear hug before letting go of Samuel to give him a shove. “have you been keeping her from me?”

“No I swear!” he looked a bit afraid.

“Better not be scared I’d embarrass you. You know I’m cool.”

“Oh yeah, nothing embarrassing about you.” Samuel cringed causing her to give him another shove.

“Alright I can see I’m unwanted, I’ll scurry off and get your food then leave you too alone.” She gave a wink before finally releasing me and running off.

“She can brighten anyone’s bad day.” I smiled feeling much better as I sat back down.

“I’m pretty sure she runs on hot chocolate and peppermints that much sugar can make anyone fun to be around. Now tell me about your writing class.”

I blushed feeling a bit vulnerable about this topic but opened up anyway. His interest making me feel more confident as I spoke.

We never went back to the original conversation from the car, instead jumping from topic to topic, laughing and teasing completely distracting me from the things that had upset me.

“that is not a real song!”

“It is I swear, look!” he insisted pulling up Jaron on the long road to love Pray for you and moving to my side one arm over the back of my chair the other holding up his phone. I was comfortable and happy feeling much more like myself I didn’t want to leave this moment but the constant vibrations from my phone told me it was time to head home.

I don’t even know how many times we listened to the song on the way home but we were red in the face and I’m pretty sure every car around us could hear our terrible singing.

Our laughter died as we turned onto my street for a split second seeing the ambulance freaked me out until I reasoned Nick must have stopped by with his partner. Leo’s truck was haphazardly parked blocking in Paul’s jeep. Realizing the scene must be a bit freaky I turned to reassure Samuel.

“Nick must be inside with his partner, that’s why there is an ambulance.”

“Oh alright,” he quickly got out and I waited patiently knowing he would round to my side.