Chapter 8

They split up into their teams Luke and Ryan captains the triplets splitting Nick joining Luke's team which unfortunately meant Carson was on their team as well.

I noticed Samuel stood back and watched as everyone tossed the ball and slowly got into place. He was always observing hopefully this will help him get through this without injury. Even when the boys were just messing around they somehow always managed to hurt each other.

"Please be careful you big idiots, the emergency room is always still packed on Thanksgiving weekend."

"Don't worry we wont hurt him too much." Leo teased not amusing me at all

"I'll be alright cupcake," the use of the nickname in front of my family caused enough embarrassment to burn the flesh off my cheeks but the wicked fool had to add a wink at the end. "hold this for me would you?" he somehow got his buttons undone in a flourish and tossed his shirt to me revealing a tight black long-sleeved he wore underneath.

The boy was trying to kill me, I felt a little lightheaded. There was bell like laughter beside me as Bee approached, Troy's green shirt folded neatly in her arms the color making her eyes bright. She looked very amused as she looked at me telling me my cheeks were increasingly dark.

I couldn't tell who threw it but the football caught my attention as it went spiraling across the yard and nearly hitting Samuel in the face, somehow he caught at the last second, flashing me a smile before getting in position and passing off the ball.

"You two are cute" Bee said causing me to stutter and ramble until she again started laughing "Breath girl, I'm only teasing, god knows what your brother would do if he thought I was encouraging that"

Breathing normally again and my burning cheeks cooled I was able to focus on the game and even chat with Bee a bit as we watched the boys.

Samuel was quick, it was like the other guys couldn't even touch him after only watching for a few minutes my anxieties about him being hurt eased and then I was cheering and shouting with the kids as I tried to explain the game to them and keep their attention so I could continue watching too.

It was cute, the way the little ones cheered for their dad's and uncles, while I cheered for a boy who had been a stranger just days prior. Though I couldn't feel guilty, not while he shot smiles and winks in my direction.

"Come on Carson! Quit fumbling or keep your hands off the ball!" I may be getting a bit too involved "Samuel! Stop toying with my brothers and just throw it!" Samuel tried to shoot me an innocent look as he dodged Troy and dangled the ball like a red cloth to a bull.

I groaned inwardly as little hands tugged at me the kids had already grown board of the game and wanted to play video games inside. Reluctantly, and with my eyes still on the game I let them lead me away.

"Who threw the shell!" the kids only laughed at my pain "oh you are all going down! I will- NO! Seriously?!" my car spun out as they all double lapped me. "and I thought you loved me!"

"Wow and I thought the guys were sore losers" Samuel leaned against the wall looking disheveled and worn out. Sweaty and covered in dirt and grass stains he still took my breath away. It was so completely unfair.

With a huff I tossed his shirt at him causing a chuckle that banished all my grumpy thoughts and made me smile... just a bit.

"these kids are vicious animals!"

"I can't imagine where they get that competitiveness from." He fell to the floor beside me and stole my controller showing me up as he easily avoided the edges of the track.