三十

Chapter Thirty「Brothers」

Chapter Thirty
Brothers

꧁꧂

"Look."

Hoshihiko turned his head at the sound of his older sister's voice, humming in curiosity. He then recoiled at the sight of the corpse of a white rabbit being held by the ear in the girl's fingertips.

"Onee-san!" he exclaimed. "What happened to it?"

"We played chase," she replied nonchalantly.

She lightly swung it back and forth in the air, causing the blood of the animal to trickle down its white fur faster. There were multiple crescent-shaped holes on its body, as well as claw marks. She always liked keeping at least some of her nails long so she could do things like this.

"You'll get in trouble if you're caught with blood under your fingernails again," he sighed with a small pout. She didn't like it when he pouted, but she chose not to mind it. "Hey, onee-san?"—she hummed in acknowledgement—"Is it normal to do things like that?" He tilted his head up at her in genuine curiosity, trying his best to ignore the putrid smell of the rabbit.

It was normal for her, surely, but she knew it wasn't for everyone else. She opened to mouth to say yes, but then shut it thoughtfully.

Would she really want her little brother to do the same as her?

"No," she admitted. "It's not."

Tossing the corpse to the side, she walked closer to him. She reached out her dominant hand to give him a head pat, only to retract it after seeing her hands were still stained red.

"Then why do you do it?" he asked again.

She adverted her eyes and confessed, "There's an urge." She then looked back at his curious gaze. "I can't really control it, though."

She truly wondered how he was still able to accept and love her despite everything. It was clear he was uncomfortable when she killed random animals; And it was obvious he wanted her to show emotions, even though she couldn't. The fact he looked up to her was truly a mystery in her eyes.

"Promise me something, Hoshihiko-kun," she said to him.

"Anything!"

"Promise you won't be like me, okay?" she asked.

"Why?" he questioned, frowning heavily. "I love you—I want to be just like you!"