二十

Chapter Twenty 「Fixation」

Chapter Twenty
Fixation

꧁꧂

"You're (L/N) (Y/N), right?"

The said girl turned her attention towards the new presence she felt in the garden: the young, black haired Ubuyashiki that she met back after Final Selection. She was still seated on a rock at the Master's garden, waiting for him to finish his private conversation with Shinobu and Uzui after he offered her to become a Hashira. Now, it seemed the Master's young heir had found her here.

She recalled seeing both him and one of his white haired sisters after Final Selection—she took note of him, because he seemed to be the more knowing one. She figured the head Ubuyashiki told him of her situation.

"Yes," she answered him. He seemed pretty mature for how young he looked; he was so short, too. "What's your name?"

"Ubuyashiki Kiriya," he introduced, a bit shyly. His voice was soft, and it was clear he hadn't actually conversed with someone outside of Final Selection before.

"How old are you, Kiriya-sama?"

The boy suddenly flinched a bit at the title she gave him. In all honesty, he felt like he didn't deserve it. He thought he could never be as great as his father.

"Eight, (L/N)-san," he answered.

"(Y/N) is fine."

The girl wasn't quite sure why she suddenly offered him to use her first name, but it was definitely on instinct. Perhaps it was because the boy's father used her first name? Or was it something else?

She didn't know, but it felt more comfortable to her.

The boy grew timidly silent, so (Y/N) tucked her hands into the pockets of her uniform, her right hand suddenly coming into contact with wrapped pieces of chocolate. Kids liked chocolate, right? Kiriya seemed pretty mature, though, so she wasn't quite sure.

Douma gave these to me before I left, she recalled. She pulled one out and extended it towards the boy.

"Here," she offered.

He hesitantly took the wrapped sweet from her hand, and then he held it questioningly as he scrutinized its details in confusion.

"What's this?" he questioned, half puzzled and half suspicious (What if she poisoned it? he thought to himself, Otou-san told me to be wary).

"Chocolate," she answered simply.

He suddenly exclaimed, "Chocolate?" His little face shifted into an excited one, forgetting his earlier doubts. Dark purple eyes lit up in pure enthusiasm as he hastily unwrapped the sweet. "I've always wanted to try chocolate!"

"You've never tried chocolate before?" the girl asked him with an eyebrow raised, slightly bewildered at his confession.

He frowned, replying, "No, I'm not really allowed to go outside of here or Fujikasane Mountain, so I don't get to try or see a lot of things." His aura immediately dropped from this explanation—a gloomy expression took over his features, and he was cutely pouting. In attempt to push away his sadness of not being able to see the outside world, Kiriya shoved the piece of chocolate into his mouth.