十七

Chapter Seventeen「Weakness」

Chapter Seventeen
Weakness

꧁꧂

There was a loud crash, and dust suddenly clouded the area.

Before the scene could even clear, (Y/N) sensed Upper Moon Three make his way to take out the injured Tanjiro, and she knew he was dead. At least, he would've been dead if Rengoku didn't protect him while he was weak on the ground. The Flame Hashira swung his sword at the Upper Moon's arm, pushing him back.

Akaza healed almost instantaneously, licking his own blood dripping from his hand.

"Nice blade," he complimented the Hashira with a cocky smirk.

"Oi, Akaza-san," the girl called from the side, approaching the demon and the Hashira before they could battle. She did her best to force down the pressure and dread building up in her stomach. "What the fuck are you doing here?"

"Long time no see, (Y/N)-san," he remarked with that same smug smile, almost as if he was throwing on a tougher look for himself since they were out in the open.

"It's only been about two days since I left," she replied dully. She could tell he was trying to put on a show, acting differently than he usually did around her (she wondered where the easily-excited and lost-puppy-like Akaza was).

"Who's this?" Akaza questioned, finger pointed tauntingly at Rengoku. "He seems strong, and his battle spirit is so close to perfection." He seemed amused at the sight; (Y/N) also saw it—the yellow and red haired slayer's battle spirit was almost invisible like her own.

"I am the Flame Hashira," he introduced himself before the girl could answer, uncharacteristically frowning (and for some reason, the girl didn't like seeing him frown like that). "Rengoku Kyoujurou."

"I wasn't asking you," Akaza spat, and then turned his attention back to his friend. "Say, (Y/N)-san," he began to ponder teasingly, finger tapping his chin with a smile, "could this be one of the Hashira that captured you?"

The girl paused.

Should she lie?

"Aw, you're hesitating," he playfully cooed, but the girl sensed anger rise in his aura. "It looks like I was right, then. Don't worry, I'll make sure he can never do that to you again," he smiled almost innocently, yet still threatening the Hashira.

While he'd never admit it aloud, the Upper Moon Three was actually drowning in so much worry when he saw the state (Y/N) was in when she returned home after her capture and trial. Bruised,
bloodied, deep gashes on her waist and both her legs—he didn't know what to do or how to help her. As much as he tried to push it down, he undoubtedly liked the girl (in what way, he didn't know). So for one of the pests who hurt her to be standing right in front of him at killing distance—how could he hold back?