Chapter Three「Celebrations」

Chapter Three
Celebrations

꧁꧂

Breath of Stars, Eleventh Form: Aquarius' Water Bearer.

(Y/N) twisted her body, her breath allowing her to twist the path of her sword like flowing water. She darted all around Akaza's attacks, a glistening trail of star patterns marking her constantly-changing path. The Upper Moon attempted to keep track of the girl. He raised his hand to attack where he predicted the girl to dart to next, but suddenly stopped when he noticed his now-missing arm.

"Woah, you cut my whole arm off without me noticing," he marveled. "I didn't sense you at all. I think you finally—"

"Am I supposed to be able to see your muscles and movements and everything?" the girl cut off, slightly in a daze. She rubbed her eyes, looking at the demon questioningly.

"Yes!" Akaza confirmed. "That's the see-through-world I've been training you to enter. You finally did it!"

"You seem happy," the (H/C) haired girl remarked.

"I'm proud," he smiled (genuinely, the girl noted) and regenerated his arm. "You'll probably be able to fight Kokushibou longer now that you've learned this," he teased.

The girl didn't reply, choosing to instead walk into her house. Akaza trailed behind her almost automatically, and he found himself seated in front of her at the tea table like usual.

"By the way," he started, watching as she took in small sips of tea from her cup. "No training tomorrow."

"Why not?"

"Do you really think we'd let you train on your nineteenth birthday?" he scoffed, as if it were obvious.

"Oh, I forgot about that," she mused, sipping her tea. "Though, if I correctly recall, you all made me train last year."

"We did?" He blinked, a little dumbfounded.

"Yes."

"Oh," he slightly frowned. "Sorry."

"I didn't mind it."

꧁꧂

It was sunset of the next day.

(Y/N) fully expected one of her demon acquaintances to drop by tonight (likely Akaza, she figured, for he kept bringing up her birthday).

What she didn't expect, however, was the twang of a biwa.

A shoji screen appeared beneath her, opening into the Infinite Fortress and leading straight to another opened screen. (Y/N) fell through both, and soon found herself falling into a dark room. Perhaps it was a test for her reflexes, but she twisted in time to land properly and steadily on both her feet. Looking up, she closed her eyes, sensing a familiar presence (it was cloaked expertly as usual, she noted, but she was also all-too familiar with it).