Chapter 21

21 | Ms independent

"What's wrong?" Sydney asked Toni who came out the dressing room.

"Nothing." Toni shook her head, "where's your wedding ring?" Sydney frowned.

"I took it off." Toni shrugged nonchalantly.

"Why? You never take it off." Sydney grimaced in confusion.

"I'm just tired of wearing it." Toni blurted out, "this dress is also tight around my waist." Toni mumbled.

"Wait one problem at a time Toni." Sydney gasped. "You're tired of wearing your ring?"

"Yes. I can be tired. Married woman can get tired. We have the right to be tired." Toni snapped, "this damn dress is cutting off my circulation." Toni mumbled walking back into the dressing room.

Sydney frowned, she now knew something was extremely wrong with her sister but she didn't feel like prying.

"Lara could you fix that for me, the wedding's next week and I need everything to be perfect." Sydney said.

Lara nodded tossing her measuring tape over her shoulder walking into the dressing room to attend to Toni's dress.
________________________

Kenny walked into his home placing his car keys into the bowl, he looked around and realized that it was a bit too quiet before he was met with a whole lot of commotion. He turned around and there was Toni with her suitcases making him frown.

"Oh good you're here." She sighed.

"What's this?" He asked pointing at her suitcases.

"I found me an apartment not to far from here-"

"Why?"

"Because- I can't do this with you Kenny!" She snapped. "You're mad at me over something I didn't even do-"

"You're still in love with your ex! How do you expect me to not be mad?" He sighed running his hand down his face.

She groaned feeling her emotions get the best of her, this would've been going much better if she weren't pregnant and full of hormones.

"How can you expect me not to care about a man I gave 4 years of my life to? Help it make sense Kenny..." She trailed off shaking her head as her tears ran down her face.

"I'm leaving. It's for the best-"

"No it's not. I want you here with me. I need you here with me." Kenny sighed.

She stared at him and shook her head.

"Ending up with the man you had an affair with never works out." She let out a tiring breathe.

She groaned grabbing her suitcase heading for the door. Kenny ran his hand down his face and pulled her into his embrace. She smacked her lips together and let go of her suitcase hugging him back, she inhaled his scent and cried. This wasn't supposed to be this hard, finally letting her go. He wiped her tears away before he kissed her lips, taking his time making sure he savored this moment. Finally pulling back he rested his forehead against hers, both shut their eyes taking in the moment before them. Toni sighed caressing his cheek before she backed away and grabbed her suitcase. Kenny pulled the door open allowing her to walk out.
________________________

2 weeks later

"You ready?"

"Yes." Sydney smiled as Toni fixed her veil.

"Is Michigan okay with you walking down the aisle with someone else that isn't him? You know his jealousy-"

"He isn't here." Toni frowned before she ran her hands down her dress. "But that doesn't matter, today is all about you." Toni smiled.

"Yes. You are absolutely right- is mom here?" Sydney asked facing Toni.

Toni's eyebrows shot up, Sydney's question truly caught her by surprise.

"Yes she is." Toni smiled.

"Don't give me that look I was just curious. I would have cared if she wasn't here!" Sydney lied shaking her head as she walked over to check herself out in the mirror.

"Sure Syd." Toni giggled before she felt her tummy turn, "not again..." She mumbled running into the bathroom.

Sydney heard the door slam making her flinch and turn around.

"Toni?" She called before the door opened and in came Kenny. "Kenny." She smiled pulling him into a hug.

"Hey. You look nice." He said.

"Thank you, you look very handsome." Sydney said before she fixed his bow tie.

"I came to drop off my dad's wedding gift to you." He said as removed the Cartier box from his pocket handing it to her.

She gasped, "ohh... he didn't have to get me anything." She said grabbing some tissues off the dressing table, dapping it against her eyes careful not to mess up her makeup.

"Here. I got him something too." She said removing a Gucci box from her drawer, "tell him I say thank you."

Just than Toni came out the bathroom, she fixed her dress and looked up being met by Kenny and Sydney who were both looking at her.

"Hi." She said to Kenny.

"Hi." He said back, "you look beautiful." He said before he faced Sydney again.

"I'm gonna go. Good luck." He said before he walked out.

"What's going on between you two?" Sydney grimaced opening her gift.

"Nothing." Toni shook her head before Sydney's squeals filled the room, "oh my god! A diamond choker!" Sydney gasped taking it out, she held it against her neck and smiled. "Goes so well with this dress." She said setting it down, "help me take off this stupid necklace so I can wear this choker."

Toni giggled walking up to her.