TTE: EPILOGUE

EPILOGUE

The first time I saw her, I felt nothing but weirdness.  She looked at me with weird eyes, like a kitten curious about her prey. I was also curious, all right. She's pretty, yes, but she's too young and naive. Mapili siya. She's not fit to be part of CAT. Hindi niya kakayanin.

But then, she proved me wrong. The exercises seemed so easy when she do it. The way the others stretch with so much pain but her... she looks happy. Her eyes were expressive, kapag nasasaktan na siya'y mapapansin mo agad. She's very easy to read, but she still gives me chills.

The other seniors noticed that my eyes were on her. Hindi ko naman ipinagkaila.

"Gago, COCC 'yon, bawal pre!" Vincent, the Corps Commander warned me.

"Tanga, hindi naman niya gusto 'yon," singit ni Rave, ang Vice Corps.

"Ulol, Gona. Amin na kasi!" Kantyaw nila.

"I don't like her," I denied.

The trainings passed and I always catch her staring at me. Laging naka-kunot ang kaniyang noo, tila pinagaaralan ang bawat galaw ko.

"It's bad to stare. Alam mo ba 'yon, Mendoza?" I asked her. Harang-harang sa daan, ang dami pang bibili.

"S-Sorry. I didn't mean to... sir."

Shit. Even her voice sound so beautiful. Snap out of it, Raiz. She's not worth your praises.

"Hindi ba ayon siya?" Limuel whispered while we're eating. Pasimple akong tumingin sa gawi nina Mendoza. Tawa pa siya nang tawa habang kausap ang isang babaeng naka-GSP uniform.

Siniko ako ni Limuel. "Gago, h'wag mong tingnan!"

"Bakit?"

"Bobo ka talaga. S'yempre iisipin niyang gusto mo siya!"

Tumikhim ako. "She's not like that," I defended.

"All girls are like that, bro. Boyfriend nga ni Rave, inisip na gusto ko siya, e!"

Tumawa ako. "Lalaki ka 'di ba?"

Sinapak niya naman ako. "Alangan!"

"Your right knee's bleeding. Proceed to medics," malamig kong sabi. She looks really tired. Dapat pala ay hindi ko binagalan ang bilang ko, baka nasaktan siya ng sobra.

"Harot," bulong ni Rave sa gilid. Ngumisi lang ako bago ko siya pinagmasdan na gamutin ng medics.

Seeing her do her best every training warms my heart. Pakiramdam ko ay napakalaking award ang makukuha niya sa effort na pinapakita niya. She's tired yet she strives harder.

I want to be the one to give her, her COCC pin. Ewan ko ba, I just really want to. I think it's best for the Corps Commander to give it but I want to give her this one... kahit souvenir na rin para sa akin. Atleast, I gave her something that's memorable in her CAT journey.

Tuwing nasusugatan siya dahil sa training, I can't help but blame my batch mates. How dare them hurt her? But then again, I stayed quiet. I don't want them to tease me and it'll just end up making Mendoza feel awkward.

My dad hates her dad. I don't know why but according to some articles, her dad is a cheater. My father is a but crazy, he likes to mess things up, just like what he did with my life.

I never hated him for engaging me with Melody. She was a senior, a beautiful and memorable one. We just didn't work out. Dad eventually got tired of pushing me to be with her. He hated her father too, just like how he hates Nailahy's.