Part Five: The End Of All Things | Chapter Forty-Five

The day of prom had finally come. My excitement levels were through the roof. I was going to have a lovely evening with my friends, slow dance with my lovely boyfriend and play a show in a lovely dress. At Albright's I played a lot of shows, but when did you ever get the chance to wear such a dress?

"Well, what's stopping you?" Cassie asked me, she was busy doing my hair. We had met because we both knew that without the other our looks would just flop. I needed Cassie's hair styling abilities and she needed my makeup abilities.

Louisa had gone to a salon for that even though she had hinted that she would rather not, just that she didn't have anyone to do it for her. I had almost suggested we could help her but then I thought maybe we weren't that far in our rebuilding our relationship journey just yet.

"I mean, it feels a bit out of place there. I would feel just a bit overdressed," I replied. I enjoyed the feeling of her doing my hair. Fingers running through my hair was something that I liked a lot, Dan had figured it out pretty quickly.

"Hey, different topic," Cassie started as she pushed another bobby pin into my hair. "Did your mom hear something from her estate agent friend yet?" she asked as she was securing my hair with a few more pins.

"Yes actually. She has two apartments for us, we can go look at them in one or two weeks, she'll call my mom back about that."

"Sweet. Gotta make sure that Dan and Nate are still here then."

We had come up with the idea that we might as well just move in with them too, sort of like a student dormitory only off-campus in an apartment. Jace still wanted to live alone and we respected that.

But Cassie was right. Dan would visit his family back in Washington over summer break. He would be gone for three whole weeks, not the easiest thing when you just started dating. I was tempted to hide in a suitcase and come with him, but eventually I hoped facetime would be enough. We didn't really have any other option.

Nate was going to Hawaii for two weeks with his parents. I did envy him a little, but the Amsterdam trip, the tattoos and the concerts lately had run me a little dry on money. Otherwise I would have gone somewhere too, maybe even to Hawaii with Nate, his parents told me I was always welcome to join.

"Yeah, I told mom that. They're hoping to schedule the viewings before the two are gone. If we take one of them we also still have to move in and everything and that's gonna take a while."

_____

"Alright, bomb makeup?" Cassie asked.

"Check."

"Bomb hair?"

"Check."

"Incredible dresses?"

"Check."

"Killer heels?"

"Unfortunately yes. Check."

"Purse with everything we might need?"

"Check."

"And lastly, high spirits?"

"Check on that one too. But my date's still missing," I said with a nervous look on the clock.

"Not anymore!" Louisa called from the kitchen. She had been standing at the window looking out for Dan. An excited tingle spread in my stomach. Mom opened the door for him and led him into the living room.

Dan's eyes started shining when he saw me, it made my heart flutter."Hi," he whispered.

I got up from the sofa and walked over to him. "Hey. I would give you a kiss but I just applied my lipstick," I giggled.