Part Three: After | Chapter Twenty-Three

"Okay, I might have worked on something," I said one early March afternoon, as we were practicing in Jace' and Cassie's basement like always. We were just taking a break.

"What is it?" Nate asked casually, tapping away on his phone. He sat right across me, his legs touching mine.

"A few weeks ago I sat down and started writing down whatever came to my mind. You know, lyrics."

Four heads turned to me, looking at me expectantly.

"Did anything result in it?" Nate asked.

"I worked on it for a while and I think you could say I wrote a song. I just... I wrote everything that I felt and that was so freeing. I didn't know such an outlet would help so much," I said. "Also I only had my guitar to write the song with, but I think it would be better on piano."

"What's the song called?" Dan asked me. He was sitting a bit further away from me, much to my dismay.

"It's called Everything Is Blurry But These Feelings Are Real. In the past months I really felt like everything around me was happening in a blur, thanks to my medication. The centerpiece of that was just me with so many feelings that I didn't know what to do with them, especially since they were usually behind a wall, also thanks to my medication. It's like I could see all of them behind a glass wall and there were so many but I never reached them."

"Do you want to share it with us?" Nate asked.

I nodded. "That's why I brought it up, yeah. It's far from perfect but I thought if I share it with you we could work it out together. Hand me that guitar."

Nate turned around and grabbed his acoustic guitar that was lying on the ground behind him. He handed it to me and everyone looked at me expectantly.

"Alright," I said and tried to remember the lyrics and chords I had come up with. I cleared my throat and started playing.

The song started with a good ten seconds of melody, then the lyrics started.

"Now you're gone

And I'm here

Left all on my own

Everything is unclear

Could I have saved you?

Did I care?

Would it have made a difference?

Would you still be here?

The pain burns in my chest

It won't let me go

Everything is blurry

But these feelings are real

They say it gets better

But does it ever? Does it ever?

They say that time heals

But that's not what I feel

Nights blur into days

Days blur into weeks

Nothing seems to change

But these feelings are real

Everything is blurry

But these feelings are real

So please send me a sign

I'm waiting, I've got time

It just seems too unreal