54. The Ritual

Colt and Rosalind built Dawn Cathedral for one purpose. It was a slaughterhouse where the Watts men killed and wept for the ones they loved the most.

"This is crazy," Simon shouted under Cowen's grip. "You can't do this. Are you going to kill your son for some magic power?"

Bill Watts joined his palms above his chest and ambled. Although the brothers had cut ties with this monster, his razor glances still terrorized them.

"The huldreke power is our legacy, a sacred way you boys were born to follow."

"Which boy?" David spat, lifting his chin. "And how many boys you'll have left when you're done?" His body trembled, his eyes sheered with rage.

"You killed her!" Will lurched forward.

Her. Bill Watts knew what her meant. When Mary was gone, the Watts Prime Branch broke into pieces, the most horrific fragmentary being Will. He looked at the altar. "We are hunters." He scoffed at his sons' mess in the church hall. "We kill." He held out his hands. "Come here, Cyan."

Everett took a step back and enveloped Cyan. Bill Watts couldn't take her away from him too.

"We've never come across a huldreke like you." Bill Watts's tone to Cyan remained kind. "Somehow, you're tied to us like a divine promise. It's your destiny, my girl. You're magnificent, and you'll make me God." He made a step to Everett and Cyan.

"Go to hell!" Everett retreated.

Coming to a standstill, Bill Watts hung his head and blinked something back in him. "It's tradition, Everett." He beamed at Cyan. "Isn't this what you want? To be with her." He veered at the altar. "It's perfect, hmm? You can be with her for all eternity here."

David glanced at Everett. "Get her out of here." His fists glowed.

Will, Simon, and Luke squirmed in the Watts seniors' clutches. These hunters were at least fifty years old, but none of them were old and wrinkly. They were fit, prime, and ripped. Noah blocked the narthex, Jason and Cowen drifted to Everett and Cyan, and Bill Watts smiled at David.

"You can't fight us alone, David." Bill Watts plucked at the cuff of his shirt. "Look at your brothers captured and leashed like dogs now. How do you plan to save them? How will you free those lovebirds?" He pointed at Everett and Cyan. "How will you protect yourself? Surrender, my son. You can't do it all alone. These boys are too damn good at shooting, but you don't bring guns to a huldreke fight."

"Huldreke fight?" Angelica's voice came from the north transept. Strutting like the spreading fire, she thrashed the senior hunters against the wall with a lift of her hand. The surprise attack freed Will, Simon, and Luke immediately. "I see one huldreke who can fight here. We can't possibly call this a huldreke fight."

"You?" Bill Watts tilted his head back and squinted.

Angelica had the Watts Clan fooled. The real Angelica, if that was really her name, wasn't an accessory, but a bold and uncompromising warrior. Pointing her finger, she dropped four Watts seniors to the floor. Currently, she seemed stronger than David.

"And that advice wasn't very encouraging for your son." Angelica rubbed her fingers together. "Don't dwell in the daddy issue, David. I taught you better than that." A red electric lash flared from her palm at Bill Watts, but he blocked the attack with a hand.

"Get her out," Angelica shouted. "All of you out!" She glowered at Will, Simon, and Luke.

Cyan trembled. Everett tightened his hands around her arms hard enough to bruise, but she healed. She always did.