35. Punch

Luscious fall brought the soothing air and the aroma of deciduous oaks through the windows of the dean's office. But when the breezes grazed on Corinne's face, she cringed. No foundation would hide the bruise Cyan's fist had imprinted above Corrine's jaw. Frey and Bianca got bruises, too, but luckily, the injuries weren't on the faces. And this was the end of the friendship.

"I don't care that you're the Board's girl. Assault is a serious offense, and Colt won't tolerate it." Simon veered back at his desk. Cyan had to be so horrible for the Watts boy to school her on battery. "Three of you, go!" he snarled.

Everyone understood what 'three of you' included. Cyan shrank in the chair as her ex-friends slithered backward. The oak doors fluttered and sealed the room again.

"Did you get hurt?" Simon's face was red, but his tone became soft. This was the fifth time he repeated the question.

Inspecting her arms, Cyan contemplated. Of course, she did, but there wasn't any evidence. "No," she lied like before.

"What happened, Cyan?" Simon flopped in his glorious leathered chair, and the seat enriched the authority in him. "You're not this."

"I've already explained everything," Cyan whimpered.

"That's not what I want to hear." Simon's voice simmered further, infuriation dissipating from his skin. "Gossips in Colt jump from one mouth to another like reckless kisses. People brew whatever concoction to suit their imaginations and insecurities. You're familiar with the scene, Cyan. But if you don't tell me the truth, I can't help you."

Luke told Cyan about the ordeal of being Bill Watts's sons. Tall tales came and went like seasons. The Watts boys had learned to live and grow through them. Last October was about Mary Watts's death, November William Watts's alcoholism, December being about Simon breaking too many hearts, January Lukas Watts's disappearance, February Everett's unfading wounds, March revolving around Bill Watts's killing someone, April Bill Watts's liking someone—and this month: Colt's new jockey.

Vicious rumors had been spreading since Cyan came out of Everett's truck. Lies cropped up while she received the attention from the Watts family. Cyan wanted to stay away from these celebrities, scared of the attention that they would attract to her secret, but their beauties were alluring as the fire to a moth. She spent too much time with Everett and Luke, getting in and out of the dean's office, and strolling on the Central Lane with Will. The worst rumor surfaced last Saturday after she had danced with the most desirable bachelor at his party. Luke and Everett showed Cyan how to look the other way, but even serenity had its breaking point. Will sent a man to the emergency room for insinuating that Bill Watts was grooming John Cooper's daughter. Perhaps Cyan should stick to her original plan: to stay invisible and farther away from the Watts boys.

"Cyan..." Simon rose and shuffled around the desk. He sat on the chair next to her. "Three people, Cyan! Three!" He huffed. "You want to be expelled?"

Cyan stiffened. This would hurt John. They would have to leave Colt. Somehow, it sounded like the right thing to do.

"Did it feel good?" Simon asked.

Cyan shook her head, and Simon scoffed.

"It had to be." He glared at her. "You're really Bill Watts's." He leaned against the chair. "A few nights ago, he tossed me, Will, and Everett around in the fencing arena, nearly killing Everett. None of us could touch our father." He gazed at her arms. "As those girls couldn't do to you."

Bill Watts was untouchable; he couldn't be hurt. Cyan just healed; she was often destroyed.

"You're on probation!"