17. Ruined

After a photo session and the extravagant award ceremony, Everett remained stuck in the royal crowd. The afternoon glimmers ornamented Lawn Party, the funeral theme reception following the Pearl Orchard's highlight. He should have enjoyed it. Charcoal-colored table silk, exotic black roses, and Colt's flags were as though it was his birthday. But no matter how dark his surroundings were, it didn't feel like his truck.

Over a lavish meal, the flowery conversation flowed. Will and Simon eased in their element, quickly cultivating Angelica's friendship. These peers were accordant with their tastes, languages, and attitudes. Everett was the Watts boy who wasn't keen on boast the inherited snobbery, so he gladly stayed silent.

When Luke joined the family at the table, Bill Watts slapped him affectionately. And for that, Simon was sore.

"Too bad Austin isn't here today," said Will as he rang Everett's untouched glass of champagne with his. Little Bill Watts had been rummaging for a disaster, testing a theory that it would always end with Everett beat up someone.

With Bill Watts next to him, Everett hid a glower in a pair of sunglasses. When a spoon of black raspberry pie passed his lips, his stomach churned under protest. A wave of nausea effectively kept the reaction that Will expected of him in check. The Watts Clan's carouse was exhausting. Everett craved a peaceful gloom, a good night sleep, a cup of boiling coffee in the dean's office, a place that wasn't here, and maybe a friend—but he was Bill Watts's. And Bill Watts' things remained well-ordered.

"Cyan Cooper, my champion!" Bill Watts shot to his feet.

My? Bill Watts's?

Everett swallowed. Cyan was Bill Watts's, too, despite her unknown purpose. She emerged from the flowy black lace in the waves of applauding mass. An ebony pearl bracelet glinted around her arm. Everett's heart skipped a beat as he could guess, from that specific piece of jewelry, who went shopping with the girl. It looked perfect—tortuously fitting. But something was wrong with the bracelet—a piece was missing like Mary being dead.

Everett slid the sunglasses off his face as the Watts seniors and their brats circled Cyan and John. Pearl Orchard Steeplechase champions nearly broke Black Stallion's record. Cyan was an instant sensation, and her popularity worried Everett. He wondered if other Wattses knew about the paintings and how many people had noticed the rain scent. Who else wanted to be her friend?

Angelica made her way to hug Cyan again. "Congratulation, dear," she said. This hug seemed more genuine than the one before. She introduced herself to John, over-performing the part, fiercely wrapping him with her arms. Everett didn't understand the game, but the fakeness was staggered. When she pulled away, John blushed in another firm embrace.

While the Coopers wilted in Pearl Orchard's superficial setting, Bill Watts seemed to be prepping them for something.

And whatever his agenda may be, I have a feeling we're not going to like it.

Pressing on his growling stomach, Everett popped some grapes in his mouth before he fainted and humiliated himself. His friendship with Cyan was supposed to be exclusive, but Simon and Luke didn't get the memo. The dean convinced her to join him in fox hunting. And Luke, the glorious rat seating beside Cyan, took every opportunity to brush his arm against hers. The fantasy of David being here amused Everett; Van Gogh would have painted this stupid party with blood if someone touched his thing.

"We had an heirloom that looked just like that." Bill Watts peered at the pearl bracelet, and Cyan immediately drew her wrist to her chest.

"It was Luke's idea." Cyan glanced at the smirking irritant, and he beamed grandly. "He picked it."