46. Asylum

Groundless desperation swimmingly led the Watts boys to a mental asylum. Angelica's outrageous claims had been manipulating their unsettled minds. In the backseat of her Prius, Luke averred that the Watts boys were as insane as she was. He glared at Everett's shoulder occasionally, upset and dependent at once. When the gate of the institute came into view, Everett rechecked his cell phone.

Her blood is what your father is after. Angelica's statement was the thought Everett was too coward to believe. His family, his clan—everyone in the Watts bloodline got what they wanted. Nobody stood in their ways. But kidnapping, murdering, and filicide? Bill Watts was abusive but would never kill his sons, especially not the most beloved one—Hector, the golden boy in whom Bill Watts had invested so much, the prince, the heir, the star for whom the clan had a big plan.

Will and Simon weren't keen on following Angelica, but surprisingly, the Mercedes was cruising behind the Prius. As per Bill Watts's demented soon-to-be ex-girlfriend, without Hector, there wouldn't be a sacrifice.

Inside the institute, the nightmarish inanity Angelica planted in the Watts boys' heads vivified. Hector's breakdown was supposed to be confidential until the Watts boys knew how to deal with causing Bill Watts this type of disappointment. But returning to Colt unannounced, Bill Watts checked Hector out of the facility two hours ago. Upon receiving the update, Will and Luke tossed two men onto the floor. Simon snarled at the reception counter in Swedish, and the people behind it slammed their own backs against the wall.

The Watts boys shouldn't be surprised, for their father had eyes and ears were all over town. Bill Watts might have flown back after learning about Hector's insanity. But why did he discharge Hector in this condition? Dark thoughts eclipsed Everett's head. Angelica's wild tales had finally influenced him. Swiftly, a bottle of whiskey called Everett to the horizon, but tantrum would be impractical this time.

Other than alcohol, fury adequately soothed the Watts boys. Will hurled one doctor on a glass table, while Luke's feet did the same to a trashcan. The shards of temper glittered across the carpet, but Everett had no time to enjoy this vivacious calamity. He glowered at the screen of his phone, contemplating accepting the truth finally. He should have known his father. He should never expect Bill Watts to be benevolent.

"What the hell is happening?" Simon caught Angelica's arm and swung her to face him. "Stop toying with us!"

Angelica choked on words, her lips dry despite the glossy red she wore. As she concocted another creative plot to taunt the brothers, an imposing silhouette zoomed in through the asylum's bright entrance.

A black jacket covered the man's broad shoulders, and a gray shirt under it was neat, unlike any wrinkly fabric with which he usually cloaked himself. Standing erectly in a pair of black pants, he tapped his leather boots that had been through a journey. His previously messy long blond hair was untangled and trimmed to neck-length. The color was brown now, and the hair cascaded down his sharp, shaven jawline. The lunatic didn't know how to stand straight like that. That wreck shouldn't look into people's eyes with that long piercing gaze. David Watts came home. Madness had arrived, styled as a complete man—this had to be Angelica's another fabulous trick.

"Boys," said David.

"David?" Luke blinked.

"What are you doing here?" Simon fumbled.

Angelica cut in front of Simon. "Your father got them both," she said.

David inclined his head and turned to the brothers. "I know." He curled his lips into a decent smile.

That beam sent a chill down Everett's spine. This man couldn't be their David.

"You two know each other?" Will twisted his face.