33. The List

The day after another vain party, Bill Watts and Hector had been playing golf in the north courtyard since sunrise. Everett noticed two figures swinging the balls into the shadowy woods when he slunk to the kitchen to grab some coffee. Now that Hector was home, Bill Watts's attention was fully on him. The Watts seniors planned a photoshoot for Garrison's campaign in Washington, D.C. Bill Watts would leave town tonight, but Hector would join the clan later. This arrangement allowed the Watts boys an opportunity to consult their oldest brother about the mystery, and perhaps he could help them untangle it.

Despite the horrific experience, Everett promised Cyan another trip to Dawn Cathedral. The girl was curious but forgetful, eager but negligent—so careless that she befriended dangers. The old church intrigued her, the rusted key luring her to that fey void. Spurred by some foolish thrill, she forgot about the bear and the crash.

The GMC halted beside the big red tree where Cyan was waiting. Surprisingly, Luke was there too. He slipped in the passenger seat, and Cyan hopped in the back.

"What are you doing here?" Everett asked without looking at any passenger.

Years ago, Everett didn't mind Luke tagging along everywhere, but now the critter was burdensome.

"Cyan told me you two are going to Dawn Cathedral." Luke grinned, for he also knew that because Everett told him with a precise instruction that he shouldn't show his face here. "I'm in." His lips quivered with pleasure.

Everett groaned inside his head. Luke never liked Dawn Cathedral, scared of it, terrified of its history.

Everett said, "Get out of my truck." He resented ever caring and taking many bullets for this spoiled child. The devilish puppy eyes would no longer manipulate him.

"Everett," Cyan said. "Come on. That place is so creepy."

At least, she remembered. But, so was Luke.

Fighting with Luke now wouldn't shoo him away. It would only ruin the mood. As much as Everett hated the kid chasing him around, spending time with Cyan was his current aim. Several deep breaths might clear his head. Luke's big mouth would be a problem today.

***

Dense fog shrouded the ancient forest. The silhouette of Dawn Cathedral emerged from the old realm. Drops of condensation glided down the cold rocks, tree litter creeping on the ground, and the winds swishing through narrow passages of the ruin. The main hall was grim, so Everett, Luke, and Cyan strolled along the dull ambulatory to a bridge leading to the East Chapel. Cyan wanted to explore every part of the old church, and with Luke coming along, she was more daring. They tried the key on all possibilities, but so far, the only thing that it opened was Luke's mouth.

The irritating puppy had to be an expert in everything including Dawn Cathedral. Luke memorized the town history since he was six years old. The damn visit had turned into a field trip. Everett and Cyan should be alone here, for he yearned to bring up the kiss. That touch haunted him as it should do to her. They needed to straighten their feelings out and stop pretending to be friends, but Luke picked the perfect day to become an annoying third wheel.

"Your great-grandparents built this place," Cyan said to Luke. "It must be hard to give up such a legacy." She glided beside him, Everett meandering behind them.

"After Rosalind passed away, Dawn Cathedral was Colt's life," Luke said. "It was supposed to be the kingdom of their love. Sadly, a little candle flame destroyed the whole thing."

"That's tragic," Cyan whimpered.

"It sounds suspicious if you ask me. See, the whole place was made of rocks. Rocks don't just catch on fire, Cyan. Someone probably nuked the whole building with a bomb. Anyway, what happened was beyond repair, so my grandfather left this place." Luke halted and cast his eyes on the intrusive bushes around them. "The new church of Colt is next to the town hall. Have you seen it? It's gorgeous. I can take you there after practice tomorrow."