19. Down Cathedral

Cyan poked a screwdriver in the eye of a cherub. Black stones were dull. Perhaps John should consider changing them to emeralds like Angelica's eyes.

"Stop it, Cyan." John slapped Cyan's hand away from his new project. "This is serious." He covered a part of the monument with a cloth. "Don't you have things to do?"

At that second, Everett fumbled through the door. Cyan slipped behind the counter. Lately, Everett Watts looked rather slight and tired—and easily provoked.

"Ah, Everett." John fluttered his hands, his eyes twinkling. The moody Watts boy pleased him. "Come. Look at this. What do you think?" He pointed at his pet project—a giant piece of black wood.

"She's beautiful," said Everett.

"Your father sent you? Don't worry. This one is my priority." John studied Everett's bruised cheek.

Everett turned his face away as if he could conceal the damage that big. "Oh, that's fantastic, sir, but I'm here for Cyan."

Cyan gulped and took a step back. She pitied Everett, but he also scared her.

"Perfect." John waggled his brows. "She's just got stood up."

Frowning, Cyan crossed her arms. "Corinne is at the town hall," Cyan said, "waiting for me." She scratched the counter. "She needs my help—my help err..." Corinne's idea of fun was exhausting, but cleaning up Pearl Orchard's mess was more practical than hanging out with the one who thrashed it.

"But we're going to Dawn Cathedral." Everett hardened his face.

"I didn't say we could go today." Cyan wished she could hide under the cloth as John's work did, Everett's gaze crawling all over her skin. "I mean—any time, but not now. I... Don't you have anything else to do? I have to clean up err..."

Everett became rigid, and Cyan felt sorry for making him uncomfortable. Truthfully, what Everett did at Pearl Orchard was forgivable, but what he did in her dreams frightened her.

"Cyan, go," John said. "Who else will be interested in that place other than this fearless boy?" He chuckled while sanding the masterpiece.

The offer was tempting. No one else but this fearless boy—the Watts boy!

***

Dawn Cathedral was far up north in the forest of Colt. Nobody lived near it. The Watts Estate was its closest neighbor, but acres of dense trees separated these two properties. The edifice, once the center of Colt, was built over 140 years ago, staler than the town itself. After the big fire, the traumatic memories forced people to abandon it.

While most landscapes around Colt were plain, the way to Dawn Cathedral was the vivacious clouds of oaks and cedar elms. The holy castle situated in the secluded woods, cut from the outside world, hidden in another realm.

Cyan shivered in the passenger seat. Everett was quiet as he always was. This problematic Watts boy had been withering, and he should rest instead of drive at the moment. Cyan offered him a candy bar, and Everett looked innocent when he chewed. Even then, his eyes intimidated her.

"Are you okay?" Everett asked as the truck rocked on the dirt road.

"Yes." Cyan eyed his grips on the steering wheel and shrank in the seat.

"You seem nervous."

Cyan shook her head, letting silence engulf them.

"Did I do something?" Everett asked.

"No!" Cyan froze.

"Are you mad at me?" Everett crinkled his lips.

With the last note of his question, Cyan's expression shifted. Warmth nibbled her cheeks. "I'm not mad at you. Why should I be mad at you?" She rubbed her arms, her mood darkening easily. "Sorry, I'm feeling a little off today." Holding herself tight, Cyan regretted raising her tone. "There are too many things on my mind lately." She smoothened down her sheer blue dress.