27. Force

Everett saw someone who was gone. Having no sight of his mother in months, even with the vivacity of her existence, even with the faint of her perfume, even in a dream, he knew that she was dead.

"That's quite bold even for your standard," Everett said.

Mary gazed at the portrait in the library. This time, she sobbed. "You're too late."

Everett blinked from the melancholy fantasy. The morning light hit his face like a crash. Fumbling out of bed, he went over the master plan: a cozy long flight to Cape Cod, Massachusetts; kisses; an exciting exploration; kisses; a night flight where he and Cyan snuggled back to Colt; more kisses. The only problem was how to break it to the other Watts boys.

Everett omitted kisses, but they still hated the plan. Luke wanted to tag along, and Simon insisted that he should join the quest. Lucky for Everett, Simon and Luke had an urgent appointment at Rosalind Watts Ranch. But when it came to Will, Everett would wait until the jet took off before he clued the snake in on what was happening.

***

The GMC halted under the Coopers' big tree. Through the thin canopy, drops of water sprinkled on the windshield. Light rain could set the mood for Everett's hopeful schedule.

"I love you." A girlish voice hit the back of Everett's neck.

Everett swiveled around, but nobody was in the backseat. A chill swooped down his feet at the absence of such clarity and unfamiliarity.

Suddenly, Cyan stormed out of the house, kicking the fallen leaves. Her little face twisted, her eyes darkening. She pulled the door on the passenger's side.

"I can't believe you told my dad." Her utterance stunned him than the I-love-you.

John's approval should have made Cyan more willing. When Everett called John this morning, the man was apprehensive but gave the green light, nevertheless.

"I just want to help." Everett was immediately cautious.

"This isn't helping," Cyan yelled, her feet sticking on the ground. "It's forcing."

Her blue eyes reddened, and the quarrel attracted the passersby.

"That's not..." Everett's breath rushed away. How could giving what Cyan wanted be forcing her? "Get in, please, and we'll talk."

Cyan crossed her arms, shivering.

"Please," Everett begged.

Another kiss seemed improbable. Cyan sank in the passenger seat, huffing and glowering at the windshield. Everett's chest throbbed, his good intention worse than his frigid response on her lips.

"You have no right to decide for me." Cyan's eyes were unfocused, her voice brittle. "I don't know what you usually do around here. You're the Watts boy; I get it. But we can't be friends if you don't respect my decisions."

Friends? Could Cyan and Everett be friends after last night? Were they ever friends at all? Everett leaned closer to her, calming his breathing and voice. "I'm sorry." His hand slid under her palm.

Cyan jerked her hand back, shuddering. Everettemptied his lungs, deserving rancor.