44. Leaving

"Talk to her," John said after a thud. Another box skidded against the empty hallway's wall. "Cyan!" The chaotic rustle negated the productivity of the unspeakable urgency.

Everett paced through the mess to Cyan. He had made his case, but even he had to realize that it wasn't enough. Being terrified was illogical for someone who couldn't die, he further appealed, and leaving was stupid while being in love.

"I'm serious, Dad!" Cyan tried to ignore Everett. She had learned many things from the Watts boys. These elites could toss away their toys and forget someone easily; this was a habit she had to master fast. "We're leaving right now!" She didn't look at John or Everett, especially not Everett, while she forced a pair of jeans inside the overstuffed suitcase.

Anywhere would be safer than this house. They could live in John's truck out in the desert, and rattlesnakes would have been merciful than the Watts Clan. The serpents were ghastly, but at least their venoms were straightforward. The Watts boys were roses full of thorns. Cyan thought she was safe, but she was wrong. She and John should leave before the barbed vines grew on them.

"Everett, please..." John whined at the door while Cyan pulled some clothes out of the suitcase and zipped it. "I'll make some tea to calm everyone down." Two of them decided who everyone included.

"Cyan, stop!" Everett kneeled. When he placed a hand on Cyan's shoulder, she slapped it. "Please, listen to me. You're overreacting." He lugged the suitcase to the bare desk.

Cyan shifted away from Everett—the Watts boy, the darkness that ruined things, the one from whom everyone should stay away.

"Overreacting? Why did your brother David paint me, Everett? What did your father want with my mom? How about when your brother Hector stabbed me and..." Cyan choked, her skin remembering every ounce of the pain. "What do you want from me, Everett?" She curled her arms, but Everett snatched them, stopping her impulsive rubbing, preventing her from consoling herself.

Everett planted a heavy kiss on Cyan's lips. "I want you." He looked into her eyes. "I love you."

Cyan thrust Everett's hands off her arms and swiveled around. The touch on the lips had the opposite effect than rubbing the arms.

"Don't push me away." He pulled her back to him, holding her from behind and sniffing her hair.

"Hector said that it wasn't real," Cyan whimpered while Everett held her tighter. Out of all the lies, insults, and allegations, this one felt like the truth.

"He's crazy." Everett buried his face in Cyan's hair. "Cyan, I can't lose you. Don't find a reason to get out of us. I know I've been scaring you, my father is monstrous, and my brothers are mad. But I really love you."

Cyan slid away from Everett and shook her head. "Everything has always been just a nightmare, and I want to wake up now."

"Then I'll be awake too." Everett wormed to her. "Whatever you want, I'll do it. I'll leave Colt. I'll be out of the Watts Clan. I'll leave my brothers. We will go away together."

Cyan looked at the suitcase. "It's over, Everett." Tears warmed her eyes. "You will always be the Watts boy. You can't leave that." She hugged herself again. "I have to think about my dad. I'm scared, Everett. Colt isn't right for me. The Watts family is dangerous. You terrify me, Everett. I can't be with you."

"No!" Everett groaned, pulling Cyan's hand to his heart.

Cyan snatched her hand back immediately, flinching and rubbing her skin. It hurt.

"What was that?" Everett screwed up his face.

Cyan shuddered. Sometimes, Everett felt as illicit as sin.

"Give me your hand," Everett scolded.

Cyan frowned and folded her arms under her chest.

"You have no problem with other people touching your hands." He flew to Cyan. "You don't like me touching them. Are you ashamed of me?"

Cyan loved Everett, and it would have been easier if that were secret.

"Go away, Everett." Impiety crept through Cyan's skin, and the sensation nauseated her. "I don't need to explain myself to you anymore."

I love you, Everett; Cyan wanted to say. She wished to stay, but Death laughed at her.

Everett took Cyan's lips and forcefully laced their fingers together. Passion enveloped them at once while her hands wrangling with his. The sickening discomfort melted away from her skin at his insistence while both bodies entwined like their hands. Her heart reached for some unknown victory, her lashes brushing resentment onto his cheeks. Perhaps Cyan wanted to break, and Everett would certainly like to grant her that one last wish.

"Everett," Cyan murmured, "I don't..." She gaped for air, wanting him, too, more than anything at this point.

Refusing to hear Cyan, Everett unbuttoned her blouse and kissed her lower. His lips nibbled down her neck fast, his breathing crashing against her like heat waves. He was unstoppable, irresistible—forgivable.

"Everett," Cyan whimpered and barricaded Everett's battered chest with her palms.

At that searing moment, Everett kissed Cyan's hand, too, and that weakened her more than the touch on the lips. Now, all of him was right, his touch guiltless. He was unrestrained, painting Cyan's skin with his mouth, each kiss deeper and lower than the one before.

"I can't..." Cyan said, but a part of her didn't want Everett to hear it. "No..." The reality resurfaced. The golden ticket glinted, and Pearl Orchard trophy shone in Cyan's hands. She sealed her lips, pushing Everett harder.

Turning red, Everett caught his fiery breath and flatted his palms on the floor. "Okay..."

"Please get out." Cyan's voice was firm and decided. Hugging her chest, she rolled to her side. The only person Cyan should ever hold was Evil.

***

Everett and John couldn't stop Cyan from packing, but half of the house was already in boxes and suitcases. She floated between worlds, lulled her in the plain mattress. When John pulled a blanket over her, she didn't open her eyes, too exhausted to face him or Everett.

Am I overreacting? Cyan thought.

A mumbling from the living room swept across Cyan's ears. Maybe nothing was intentional. Perhaps there were more explanations. Should Cyan ruin John's future for her own arrogance and fear? She should talk to Bill Watts. She could forgive the other Watts boys as she did Everett. Cyan didn't have to be near Hector again. She could still have Everett. John could forever be happy. Or maybe she could take Everett and leave. Cyan shifted beside the door and leaned against the wall—trapped in Colt's embrace.

"Everything is going to be all right, I promise." Everett's voice was clear and far away in the living room. "Whatever Cyan and you decide, I'll make sure you're okay. She'll feel better after a good rest."

Could everybody be okay? Cyan massaged her arms gingerly. She wished Everett stay tonight. She hoped they could share a bed like that night in Cape Cod.

"You should sleep, too," John said. "We'll talk to her in the morning. Everett, I can't say no to her."

"I'll do whatever she wants, but she has my heart, John. I can't live without it."

Cyan didn't want to live without Everett, but she would always live.