Bachelor Number Four

Ray had science last period that Monday. He walked up to Jack with nervous excitement. After the date he saw Jack in a new light. No longer was he the science partner who was good because he was fine with doing most of the work, mostly because Ray usually fucked something up when he did it. Now he was the cute guy Ray now counted as a blessing for paired up with him.

"Hello Ray, have a good lunch?" Jack asked, tousling Ray's hair. He blushed and smiled at the touch. It was affectionate without giving too much away to their classmates. Just what he needed.

"Lunch was great thanks, not as good as last night though," Ray whispered.
"I'm glad to hear that, I still haven't stopped thinking about it. I wish I could have spent the rest of the night with you," Jack said, moving closer so they couldn't be heard.

"I wish that could've happened too, spending the night together. That has got to happen, we'll plan it, a night together. It will be perfect," Ray said.
"I'd really love that," Jack said softly, before turning away from him to face the teacher who was writing up instructions for the experiment that lesson.

Ray rushed to copy down the steps so he and Jack could start. "I'll set up a Bunsen burner while you write, and then do the rest 'cause you take so long to write," Jack teased and poked Ray in the shoulder.
"Hey! You'll only make me write slower by doing that," Ray warned as Jack walked off to get the equipment.

It was a simple experiment, they just had to burn chemical-element thingys and record what colour flame it produced. The flame was pretty no matter what colour it was to Ray, he enjoyed watching the flame change colour with Jack. It was like a mini in-class date.

As the cleaned up, Ray felt excited again as he thought of his plans for that evening. But his mood fell when he remembered his father knew he had been sneaking out an wouldn't let it happen again. At least not without another painful consequence.

"Hey Ray, I almost forgot to ask, what happened to your chin?" Jack asked, as though reading his mind. Ray knew he would have to tell his dates. They needed a reason as to why he would be hurt or why they couldn't come over.

"My dad just got a bit mad when he found out that I had been sneaking out for the blind dates each night. It's no big deal though," Ray tried to say as casually as he could, though Jack wasn't buying it.

"Are you serious? Of course this is a big deal, your dad could get charged for this!" Jack argued back. Ray shushed him and looked around quickly to see if anyone had heard.
"Tell the fucking world why don't you? Look, just don't worry about me, I'm fine and if I was worried I promise I would tell you," Ray whispered.

It didn't feel good to lie to Jack, or anyone who had asked what happened to his face, but he had no other choice. If he told them that he was scared or worried or that it did hurt then his dad could get in trouble and there was no way Ray could let that happen.

Jack stopped talking but he kept the concerned look on his face. The bell rang and Ray put his bag on his back, waved goodbye to Jack and walked home. His father was at work still, but would be back at four thirty, giving Ray freedom until then.

But that gave him an idea. One that would only work if Joel's parents were feeling hospitable. Ray grabbed his phone and called Joel, who didn't pick up. Ray cursed and called again, this time Joel answered.

"Hey man what's up?" Joel asked as he picked up the phone."
"Hey do you think your parents would let me stay at your place for the night and the next day?" Ray asked quickly. It was already four so if he was going to act he had to do it fast.

"Dude you know them, they couldn't give a shit as long as you don't cause trouble," Joel answered. It was true, Joel's parents were laid back and never seemed to mind unexpected visitors. Ray held the phone to his check with his shoulder as he packed a spare bag with clothes and pajamas and whatever else he would need for the night and the next day.