Bachelor Number One

Ray sat at his desk in his bedroom thinking up ways to sneak out for the date at six. His dad would kill him if he caught him and he couldn't just ask for permission.

He sighed and looked to his pin board on his off-white walls. It was covered in bad quality photos of him, his friends and his family. Or at least what it used to be.

Nine months ago they were a happy family, Ray's dad, mum, older brother and him. Then the accident happened.

The accident was what started the panic attacks Ray had every now and then. Maybe if his dad had paid more attention to him after it then they wouldn't happen, but that was in the past.

Ray's mum was in her car, driving home from work at night. She called Ray to check if they had milk at home. Everything was fine until Ray heard a scream on the other end of the line.

It had been been raining and the road was wet. A truck spun out of nowhere, wiping out three cars, including his mother's.

Ray couldn't remember exactly what had happened after that, but he had heard screaming, crashing and eventually sirens.

He had sobbed into the phone, screaming for his mother to answer him but all he could hear was gasps for air and moans of pain.

Then they stopped. He had thrown the phone across the room without hanging up and fallen to the ground.

Ray pulled his gaze away from the photo of his mum on the pin board, tears filling his eyes. That night was also the last time Ray's dad had been himself.

Now he was bitter and abusive. His brother on the other hand was distant and barely ever came home. He always stayed at friend's houses.

Ray wiped his eyes and focused on the current issue, getting to the first blind date. He got up and started walking slowly to the lounge room.

Ray saw his dad watching the news. He looked at the clock, it was quarter past five.

"Dad, Joel invited me to stay at his place for the night, can I go?" He asked cautiously.

When no reply came Ray tried again. "Can I go to Joel's place for the night?" he asked loudly.

His dad turned around, looked him in the eye and said "no,". Nothing more.

"Please, I'll be home before you even wake up, I'll make breakfast for you," Ray bribed.

His dad blinked and furrowed his brow, thinking.

"Fine, but if you aren't back before I get up you'll regret you were born," He threatened, balling his hands into a fist.

Ray gulped and ran into his room. The clock read half past five now, so he had about fifteen minutes to get ready and start walking to the diner.

He grabbed and old button down shirt and put it on. It had a little tear on the side and was a bit small but it was the best he could do.

Then he put on his jeans and as an afterthought, sprayed on some cologne. It smelled pretty bad and stung his noes but maybe Geoff would like it?

Once he was ready he took one last look in the mirror and when his dad wasn't looking, hurried out the front door and called,

"I'm leaving now!"

Then he began the walk to the diner. It was a pretty warm night and the sun was still low in the sky. The breeze ruffled Ray's hair as he walked.

When he reached the door and walked in Ray noticed how crowded it was. Not exactly romantic.

He looked around and realized that he didn't know what name Joel had reserved the table under. Then he saw Geoff.

He was tattooed, as Joel had said, but that was the only apparent thing to fit the description. Even if he did have almost full tattoo sleeves his grin threw off the tough guy look completely.

Geoff waved him over and Ray sat down across from him.

"Hey, you must be Ray! Nice to meet you buddy!" He said shaking Ray's hand.

"That's me. You look way different than expected," Ray blurted out. Geoff laughed and looked at his arms.

"Yeah these tend to give people the wrong impression a butt load, but you look exactly like your friend described!" He said.

They chatted for half an hour and stopped to order their food. Once the waitress was gone, Ray began his 'serious questions'.

"So, this is a blind date, so have you like, come out yet?" He asked awkwardly.

"Dude, I'm gay as fuck and and open to the world. No secrets with this guy!" Geoff replied, still smiling. He hadn't stopped.

"Alright, are you looking for a serious relationship?" Ray asked, this time looking him in the eye, no shyness present.

"No I'm looking have a fun relationship, but if you're speaking long term, then I'm down for that," Geoff answered.

Ray shook his head. Geoff was amazing, he couldn't believe that his first real date was this good. Before he knew it, it was eight and he had to leave.

"We have to meet up soon, I had a great time!" Ray said as they walked out together. It hadn't been romantic as such, but more fun.

"After the rest of your dates I'm pretty sure you'll be tired as dicks, so maybe next week?" Geoff suggested.

"Great, you've got my number, call me!" Ray said, beginning to walk away. Geoff put his hands on his hips and made a disapproving face.

"Did you really think you were leaving without a goodbye kiss?" He asked and leaned forward to peck him on the cheek.

Ray's heart stopped and a smile stretches across his cheeks, he was glad it was dark so no one could see him blush.

"See you later Ray! And by the way, you look fantastic!" Geoff called out as he walked down the street, towards his scratched blue car.

As he drove off Ray touched his cheek. That was the first time he had ever been kissed. And it felt amazing.