Sad Love Letters

Ray had to time when he came home perfectly. Or at least near perfect. It had to be after his dad went to bed or else he would know something was up.

His dad was often up late, drinking, watching tv or just sitting, in a world of his own. It was too early for Ray to go home so he wandered the streets.

It was nice at night. Once busy streets were empty and quiet, Ray felt as though he was disturbing the peace by walking through.

He looked in shop windows, with their lights out it was hard to see but he could make out most objects. It was almost spooky to see the mannequins in the dark.

Ray shivered, realizing the temperature had suddenly dropped. His shirt was thin, letting the breeze in and making him cold.

He wrapped his arms around himself and sat down, back against an empty shop. He brought his knees up to his chest and hugged them.

Ray always thought of what would happen in the future, how he would continue. Would he be successful? Homeless? Have five kids?

He thought about the many dates to come. Could they be a big impact on his life? Maybe they would change his life for the better, maybe he would meet the one.

The thought sent butterflies fluttering through Ray's stomach. He thought of his amazing time with Geoff and wondered what the next nights would have in store for him.

Ray's thoughts spiraled through his head and he exhaled noisily. A piece of paper floated along the street, stopping in front of his feet.

Ray reached forward and picked it up. It was a hand written note to someone. A love letter, but a sad one.

Barbra,
I know I'm no good at talking so I've put this on paper.
I'm leaving. For good. And although this is abrupt I want to confess to you.
I love you. Always have. I hope you remember me when I'm gone.
You had nothing to do with my leaving. So have a nice life and, sorry I couldn't say this in person. I might cry.
BB.

Ray wondered who BB could have been. And who Barbra was. He let the paper go and watched it fly away. It wasn't really any of his business.

He checked his watch, it was ten minutes past midnight. His dad should be in bed. Ray stood up and brushed dirt from his pants.

He walked home slowly and when he reached the front door, Ray pulled out his key and unlocked it quietly. He went straight to bed, only then realizing he was very tired.

He set an alarm to wake up before his dad did and then put his head to the pillow. As soon as he shut his eyes, he fell asleep, dreaming many things he would forget by morning.

The alarm was annoying. A blaring and screeching beep over and over. Ray slammed his hand on it to shut it up an rolled out of bed.

He pulled out a frying pan, yawning as he did so. He had promised to make breakfast, even if it would taste horrible due to Ray's lack of skill in cooking.

The smell of bacon must of waken his dad because he came looking for food. Ray put it on his dad's plate and waited. No thanks came.

Ray calmly walked to his room. He called Joel, wanting some kind of attention. He answered with a sleepy 'hello?'.

"Joel, I'm feeling alone. Tell me about my date tonight," Ray asked, sitting on his bed.

"Alright, jeez early bird it's eight in the morning on a weekend! Some people actually do this thing called sleep!" Joel snapped back. But Ray could picture him smirking on the other end.

"Whatever, just tell me about him," Ray said to him.
"Okay, his name's Michael, I'm pretty sure he's in our year. He has reddish hair and glasses, I think," Joel replied.

Ray could hear crinkling over the phone so he guessed that it was another piece of paper covered in details.

"He is a self-confessed angry person sometimes but in his own words is 'pretty fucking adorable'," Joel said. Ray let that thought sit in his mind.

He pictured the cutest thing he could imagine being angry. He laughed at the picture in his mind, apparently a kitten throwing a tantrum was funny.

"Alright, that was all I needed, thanks," Ray said goodbye and hung up. He looked at his crumpled up shirt from the night before on the ground.

It looked like he would be wearing a t-shirt to a date. Hopefully Michael wouldn't mind. Ray knew he had heard the name Michael recently but couldn't pick where.

He shrugged to himself and decided to do homework. He needed to catch up on work he missed while sleeping in class.

Ray remembered Geoff telling him how a teacher said she couldn't believe he still got okay grades when he slept as much as he did in class.

About fifteen minutes later, Ray gave up after reading the same page of information three times. He walked over to his shelf and picked up his DS.

He hadn't used it in ages, instead playing Xbox in the living room. Ray didn't feel like leaving his room right now and seeing his dad, so he sat down and began to play.