Bachelor Number Three

"Alright, mission acquired, time to roll out," Ray mumbled to himself. He had prepared for this escape from his house earlier by texting this night's date, Jack, that they should meet later. He also remembered just in time to arrange it with the diner too.

Ray had scanned the back of the homework sheet on which he had written ideas from Geoff on how to sneak out and chose to climb out of his bedroom window tonight. This would be much easier if his bedroom wasn't on the second floor.

But Ray was prepared! He had tied a a rope to his window and left it hanging down inconspicuously. The only challenge would be that he wasn't the most athletic person so the climbing may take a while.

It was almost eight, the time when Ray and Jack planned to meet for dessert, because it was already past time for dinner. Ray took a deep breath and opened his window, from which he had already removed the screen.

He unsteadily sat on the window sill and grabbed the rope in both hands and slowly lowered himself off the edge of the window and wrapped his legs around the rope. His palms were sweaty an made it hard to hold on.

It took him five minutes to get even close to the ground. When Ray was about one and a half meters from the ground, his hands slipped on the rope and he fell straight down onto his ass. The loud bang that could be easily heard when he hit the ground definitely wasn't going to help his 'escape'.

So he ran away as fast as he could, wincing at the pain in his ass. Ray laughed to himself, 'pain in the ass'. When he was down the agree and around the corner Ray stopped running. The diner was a couple streets down, not far away.

Ray had forgot to ask Joel about tonight's date. He only had enough time to ask for his date's name and number before he had to hurry and arrange that night. But at least he knew his name was Jack.

Jack was a nice name in Ray's opinion. It was simple, classic and always seemed to suit the person, like his lab partner, who was also named Jack. He couldn't wait to meet him. As Ray walked into the diner he scanned the room. He didn't know who he was looking for so that made the task more difficult.

"Hello Ray" said a deep voice from behind him. Ray spun around and let out a little gasp of surprise, it was his lab partner! He smiled at Ray and reached out for a handshake, acting as though they had never met.

"Hey Jack, I'm pretty surprised you're my date, you've never really said anything about liking me before" Ray said, shaking his hand, then slapping himself in the face.

"Sorry! I didn't mean for that to sound like I don't want to do this anymore, it was just a surprise, a good surprise!" Ray hurried to say, though Jack just laughed.

"Don't worry about it. We should go grab our table and order, I hear the mini cheesecakes here are fucking delicious," Jack said, leading the way over to their reserved table for two. Ray grabbed a dessert menu and looked at it briefly before turning his attention back to Jack.

"So, what you been up to? How did you end up on a blind date with your scrawny Puerto Rican lab partner?" Ray joked. Jack's laugh was higher pitched than his voice and Ray found that funny so soon the were laughing together for absolutely no reason.

After their period of unnecessary hysteria, Jack wiped his eyes and answered Ray's question. "Honestly I just thought my life was boring and wanted to, y'know, mix things up, also I've always thought you were pretty cute" He said, blushing slightly.

Ray nodded. Maybe that was the reason he agreed to these dates. His life was pretty boring, consisting of just video games and school, sadly. Jack waved over a waiter and orded for both of them, even though Ray hadn't told him what he wanted.

Jack winked at Ray when he tried to speak to the waiter and cut him off before he could say a word. When the waiter left Ray asked, "How come I couldn't order? Did you forget I was here?"

"No of course not, I just wanted to surprise you," Jack replied. Ray forced himself to keep a straight face and said, "Well anyways, I'm allergic to chocolate." Jack's face fell immediately and he swore under his breath.

"Really?" He asked sadly, turning to call bak the waiter.
"Of course not, chocolate's the best," Ray laughed. Jack looked relived and playfully whacked his hand.

"You jerk, you had me going there, I was going to reorder!" He exclaimed. The laughed and continue to joke around until Jack's dessert was brought out to them.

"Alright here you are, enjoy yourself!" The waiter said as he placed a fondue pot full of melted chocolate and a place full of things to dip in between them.
"Surprise," Jack grinned as Ray's face lit up. The last time he had fondue was years ago when he got good grades on his report and it was a reward.

They picked up their metal dipping sticks and both went for the same piece of mini cheesecake. "You have it, I'm sure if it's good I'll be back here in no time to get more," he laughed. Ray dipped it in the chocolate and popped it in his mouth, it was heavenly.

The continued to chat as they slowly made their way through the strawberries, marshmallows, small cakes and banana pieces, taking turning attempting to feed each other from across the table.

But that was easier said than done. The movies made fondue look easy to eat but it's a lot messier when you actually go to do it yourself. They ended up with lines of dripped chocolate all over the table from attempting to put the chocolate covered fruits into each others mouths.

They had fun as they made a mess of their dessert and talked as they did so. "Alright," Ray started, eating a marshmallow halfway through his sentence, "I've been on two dates before this one and they've both been fantastic, how would I ever choose between you three?" He asked.

"Choose us all!" Jack joked and popped a banana into his mouth. Ray had already though of this and pondered it over in his head again. As he chewed on the marshmallow he came to the conclusion that it was as good as it was bad.

"Hey, whatever happens, we have to do this again," Jack said, standing up and grabbing his jacket. Ray did the same and smiled thankfully at Jack. "I had so much fun tonight, I'd never though my lab partner would make such a great date! Thank you," he said.

"No, thank you," he grinned back and walked over to give him a kiss. Ray blushed a little and bit his lip. "It wasn't very romantic before so I thought is make up for it now," he explained.

They said goodbye and began to go their separate ways back home. Never in a million years would Ray have thought that his lap partner would not only like him, but sign up for a blind date with him. But then again, while they talked he realized that he really didn't know that much about him, other than his eyesight mustn't be the best.

Ray was in his own world on the walk home, dreaming of his three dates and their amazingness. When he reached his front door he grabbed the spare key from under the doormat, unlocked the door and went inside.

It was silent. His dad must be asleep, Ray though to himself, not bothering to turn on the lights. He walked through the dark upstairs and into his room, where he kicked of his shoes and fell into his bed. In an instant he was asleep, dreaming of mini cheesecakes and fondue sticks.