Cringeworthy

Now that it was becoming a reality, Ray was worried about what Joel was planning. It was Thursday and the first blind date was on Friday.

Joel had found five people that would each go on a date with Ray, but something told him it wouldn't work. He just couldn't go. But Joel didn't know why.

"Man, I'm not going, tell them I can't come, I have chicken pox or something," Ray pleaded desperately. Joel just shook his head.

"I already made reservations from Friday to Tuesday, be grateful you fucker!" He joked. He really had no idea why Ray didn't want to go.

Ray just wasn't interested. The idea of dating someone he had never met before not only scared his awkward self shitless, but it felt weird.

When you're not looking forward to something, time goes fast, too fast. Thursday was a blur. Ray felt as though he was in a movie, everything moving around him.

That's when it happened. It was sudden, nothing triggered it. He panicked, his breathing got fast and his vision blurred.

Ray took a shaky breath and walked unsteadily toward the bathroom, barely making it in time. He broke down as soon as he walked trough the door.

Wheezing and crying for no reason. It felt like the world was going to end. He was going to be a failure. These blind dates were for nothing.

The attack went on for six minutes. That was when someone found him. A tall senior with sandy hair. His eyes widened at the sight of him.

Ray hid his face and stood up. The guy walked over to him. "Um, sorry but are you okay?" He asked, looking concerned.

"I'm fine, I'm just stressed that's all," Ray replied bluntly. The guy didn't buy it.

"No, you're not fine, you can barely walk and can't breath. Just sit down, I'll take care of things," He insisted. This guy must have been a medical genius or something because he knew exactly what to do.

He stood by the door, making sure nobody came in. Then, he just stood there. He didn't speak, he just watched Ray to make sure he breathed.

Once he had really calmed down, Ray smiled up at the guy to let him know. The guy sat down next to him and introduced himself.

"I'm Ryan," he said, "Would you like to tell me what happened? Or would you just like to be left alone?" He asked kindly.

"I have these attack things sometimes. Nobody knows, except you now, I just get scared and usually go and sit somewhere for a bit," Ray confessed. He made it sound a lot better than it actually was.

"Why did you get one?" Ryan asked curiously, Peering into his eyes. Ray hesitated, but something made him feel safe to tell Ryan. There was something about him.

"My friend set up some stupid blind dates for me, stupid really, but I was worried about how it would turn out," Ray told him.

"It's not stupid, if you don't want to go on them then don't, uh..." Ryan trailed off.

Ray slapped his palm to his forehead. He had forgotten to tell him his name! "I'm Ray, sorry, I forgot to mention it."

"Nah, it's fine," Ryan said with a smile. Ray liked how laid back he was. It was pretty soothing actually.

"I promise my friend I would go on them, but the idea is just so, cringeworthy!" He cried. Ryan raised his eyebrows.

"Cringeworthy is a weird word. But I guess that perfectly describes how I feel when I see myself playing fighting games," Ryan thought aloud.

Ray perked up at the sound of video games being mentioned. He was just about to ask Ryan about it but the older boy stood up.

"Well we'd better get to class, we almost missed a whole period!" He exclaimed, looking at his watch. And with that, he walked out.

Ray followed him out the door and walked to class. Upon seeing him walk through the door, Joel shot him a look asking 'where the fuck have you been?'. Ray winked at him just to piss him off.

He slunk to the back of the room and sat in his chair. As he unpacked his books he noticed new graffiti on the desk. A little heart with the words 'I love boys' in the center.

A name was the bottom; Michael.J it was signed. Ray almost laughed out loud. The desk was in a religious studies classroom.

So that was what Ray thought about instead of listening to the teacher, just how many good people there was in the world.

He didn't even realize he had been writing in the desk too. He didn't even realize he had written 'me too'.