The Start Of The End

"So they were actually gonna protest against your dad?" Joel asked Ray. They were laying together on Joel's bed, only it was a single bed so Joel was laying on it and Ray was half falling off.

"Not were, I'm pretty sure they're gonna do it," Ray grumbled.

"Your dad won't exactly take that lightly will he?" Joel glanced worryingly over at him. Ray put his hands over his eyes and moaned.

"As much as I love them, they're assholes for even thinking about doing this. They will be the death of me, literally," Ray said, attempting to keep a straight face. He failed, cracking up with Joel and then due to his precarious positioning, falling off the bed.

The loud thump was heard all around the house, Joel's mum came rushing in. She saw Ray on the ground, obviously not in pain because he was still laughing.

"Boy's be careful, I don't want you getting hurt," She said. Just as she was about to leave she turned back to Ray. "You've been here an awful long time, I should call your dad to make sure this is alright," She said, lips pursed.

"No no! That's fine, I already called him, he's okay with it," Ray said a little too quickly. She stared back and Joel and Ray exchanged looks.

"Come with me Ray," Joel's mum beckoned for him to follow her out the door. Ray got up of the floor and nervously did as she said and walked out the door.

She lead him to the lounge room where she sat down. Ray did the same and didn't look her in the eye. "Everything isn't okay, is it?" She asked gently.

Ray couldn't lie to her. She was being kind enough to let him stay, besides she seemed to already know. "No it's not," he replied bluntly.

"You don't get along with your dad?" She pressed. Ray shook his head. "That's why you're staying?" She asked. Ray nodded.

He held his breath as he watched Joel's mum think. She gave him a half smile, as though she were about to deliver bad news. Ray braced himself.

She leaned forward and hugged him. Not like how the boys would hug him. But how a mother hugs her son. How Ray hadn't been hugged since his mum died.

Tears rolled slowly down his cheek. Joel's mum wiped them away with a tissue she had apparently magicked up, how mothers do.

She didn't stretch out the conversation, she was straight forward like that. "You can stay as long as you need," She said, and walked out of the room.

Ray stopped crying and wiped his eyes before walking back to Joel's room. Joel was in bed using his laptop. When Ray walked over he quickly shut it.

"What's that about?" Ray asked. Joel shrugged and lay down. Pretending to sleep. Ray rolled his eyes, it was no use trying to find out, he was too fucking stubborn.

Ray got into bed and tried to fall asleep. Tomorrow would be Thursday, the day before the dance, school would definitely be hectic with more last minute dates and organizing.

Just as Ray was falling asleep he saw Joel pick up his laptop again. Ray smiled, he knew Joel wasn't asleep. Then he shut his eyes, to wake up in the morning.

As usual Joel didn't wake him up, but this time he at least had a reason not to.

"Are you kidding me? You were fine yesterday!" Ray said doubtfully. Joel was in bed with a bucket next to him, groaning and holding his stomach.

"Well I sure as shit don't feel fine now," Joel replied. His mum walked in with a glass of water for him.

"You'd better hurry Ray or you'll miss the bus," She warned, looking at her watch.

"Shit," Ray mumbled and hurried to put on clothes and eat a piece of toast. He rushed out the door, saying a hasty goodbye to both Heymans. He caught the bus and got to school just in time.

Jack wasn't in science, Gav wasn't in English and Ray didn't see Barbara or her friends either. In fact, he didn't see many people he knew at all.

During lunch he sat with Jeremy, because there wasn't anyone else available to sit with. "So changed your mind about the dance?" Jeremy asked. He was pretty annoying but he was someone at least.

"Nope, still not going," Ray replied. It was so weird that nobody was at school. Almost as if they were avoiding him. Ray suddenly dropped his food and let out a small gasp.

"What?!" Jeremy asked, looking around for what could be alarming.

"Nothing, I just realized I forgot to study for a test," Ray lied to get him off his back. He pulled out his phone and pretended to look at study notes.

R u serious?!? skipping school? How many people did you get in on it!?

Ray sent the text to Joel and all of the boys. After fifteen minutes nobody had responded. They were definitely conspiring together.

Lunch ended and Ray's nerves built up for what he knew would happen after school. Each class seemed to go faster, which was normally a good thing, apart from today.

The final bell rang. Ray stood up and walked as slow as he could out of the classroom and out of the school gates. He walked back to Joel's so it would take longer.

Joel's mum greeted him as he walked through the door. "Joel's just in his room," She said and walked away. That caught Ray by surprise. He had though Joel would be out with everyone else.

"Hey," Joel said weakly as Ray walked in through the door. He dropped his bag and walked over.

"You don't look very sick," Ray commented and sat on the floor, far from Joel in case he actually was sick.

"Well looks can be deceiving," Joel yawned and groaned. He laid down and after a while of silence, Ray decided he was asleep.

Ray relaxed. It was just a coincidence that they weren't at school, Joel really was sick. He pulled out his phone and began browsing youtube.

He was in the middle of a video on record time to get five stars in GTA when a car pulled up outside the house. Ray didn't notice until Joel leaped out of bed, grabbed him and took him out the door, outside and shoved him into the car.

"Drive!" Joel yelled and the car jolted forwards. It was Geoff in the driver seat, Jack in the passenger and Michael in the back with him and Joel.

Ray felt all the colour drain from his face. There was a plan, he'd fallen right into it. "I thought you were sick!' Ray yelled at Joel.

Joel just laughed, "I know, I'm such a good actor, I should put it on my résumé, 'tricked friend into thinking he was sick and sleeping'.

Ray looked into the rear view mirror and saw two other cars tailing them. They must be the others. "You guys, don't do this," Ray said frantically as he noticed they were getting closer to his house.

"It's for your own good," Michael said and kissed him on the check. Ray's heart was beating so loudly he could hear it. This was about to happen.

Geoff stopped the car in front of Ray's house, the other cars did the same. Everyone got out, except for Ray, who refused and locked himself in.

Everyone was there. Everyone being the boys, Joel, Barb, Kara and their friend Meg. So not really everyone but still a somewhat significant number to be rallying against his dad.

Gavin pulled out a megaphone made of cardboard, so it really didn't do much, but he shouted into it all the same.

"Ray's dad! We want to talk!" He yelled out. Ray dropped to the floor of the car and tried to hide. This was it. This was taking it too far, he would be officially homeless after this stunt.

He heard the front door slam open. "What the fuck do you think you're doing!?"

Notes:
I'm back bitches.