Mysteries of Desk Graffiti

"Sleeping are you? How fucking sweet..."

Ray jolted upright as the sheets on top of him were ripped away. His father stared into Ray's eyes with more hate and anger than usual.

"You little bastard! You think you can sneak away every night and not get caught do you? Think you're so clever?" He mocked as he unbuckled his belt and wrapped it round his hand.

"Dad please, I won't do it again I promise!" Ray tried frantically pleading. The only response he got was a snort before the belt was unleashed.

"Don't. Ever. Leave. This. House. Again!" Ray's father yelled, bringing the belt down over numerous places on Ray's body in-between words.

The tough leather stung badly and brought tears to Ray's eyes. He screamed and tried to clamp his hand over his mouth. When it was over he tried to blink the tears away, without success.

His father walked slowly away and started to do up his belt again. "Now get your ass to school," He growled.

Ray stayed in bed for a few minutes longer, clutching the places where his father's belt had hit him. Then he got out of bed and began slowly getting ready for school.

He tried his best to cover up the bright red marks but there was one on his jaw which could easily be seen. As Ray walked down the hallway to his first lesson Joel walked up to him.

"Hey, what ya got first?" He asked, then saw the mark. "Jeez what happened? Run into a pole?" He joked.

"You could say that," Ray shrugged and tried to walk away but Joel ran after him.

"No seriously, what happened?" He asked again and grabbed Ray to stop him leaving. Ray sighed. Joel knew his father sometimes hurt him but Ray tried his best to not make it seem so bad. But there wasn't really any way of getting out of this one.

"It was my dad," Ray started, thinking over every word. "It's not as bad as it looks it's just a bit red." Joel raised his eyebrows but didn't question further.

Ray's first period was religion. He walked into class and sat at his desk without talking to anyone and stared at his desk.

All the desks at his school were old and wooden. Years of graffiti had been written on and carved into them. Mainly dicks and initials in hearts but the one Ray had seen last Friday was still new-ish and more visible.

Ray traced the name at the bottom of the heart with his fingertips. Michael.J seemed very familiar but Ray couldn't put a finger on it.

"Mr Narvaez? Do you know in which part if the bible this occurred?" His religion teacher asked. Everybody turned to stare at Ray as he fumbled for an answer.

"Um... The new part?"He asked. A few people around him giggled. Fuck. He should really start paying attention.

"No, believe it or not, the creation stories are not in the 'new part'," His teacher said and glared at Ray.

So Ray tried to pay attention for the rest if the lesson but it kept bugging him that he knew the name carved into the desk.

The question kept nagging at his mind for two periods after the religion lesson too. But as he was walking out to the cafeteria, it hit him. Literally, believe it or not.

Michael Jones ran up to him and whacked him over the head with his textbook. "'Sup buddy?" He asked and without waiting for an answer continued to question him. "Why you looking all sad pissed off?"

"If I was I'm not anymore cause I just figured out it was you who graffitied the religion desk!"Ray replied. Honestly it was so obvious now Ray felt embarrassed that he even had to think about it. He dated the guy who wrote it for god's sake!

"Yeah that was just a small part of my gay rebel career," Michael said, looking at his nails and pretending to act all nonchalant, causing Ray to laugh a little. "Enough about me, what's up with your face man?"

Ray had almost forgotten about the mark from earlier that morning. He glanced at his reflection in a window as the passed a classroom. His jaw was still red but now also raw and slightly bruised. Ray groaned and imagined the rest of his body would look the same.

"I'll tell you about it later this afternoon, after school," Ray answered. Michael nodded and did the universal 'call me' motion as he walked away. They had walked together all the way to the cafeteria and when Ray sat down, Joel raised his eyebrows like he does.

"Who's that? New boyfriend?" He teased.
"Sort of. Remember those blind dates I'm going on? He was the second," Ray said, blushing a little.
"Yes! I knew they would work! Goddamn I make a good Cupid. Do you reckon I'd look good as a baby?" Joel asked, pouting and making baby noises.

Ray laughed and started to eat his lunch. They carried on talking and joking for the remainder of the break, but all the while Ray was thinking of Joel's comment.

Maybe the dates would work.

Or maybe that's just fairytale and teenage-girl-romance shit.

Notes:
I found my iPod touch! Yay! I can now start this up again, and since it's school holidays I might be able to write more often!
<3 Embers