Chapter 13

Samantha

I knew Louis was about to start asking questions that I didn't have the answers to and luckily, as if on cue, the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it!" Fizzy yelled since she was closest to the door. She hoisted little Catherine up on her hip and held her with one arm as she turned the doorknob.

"El!" Fizzy squealed as she was enveloped in a hug.

"Fizzy! It's so nice to see you!" A woman's tinkling voice chimed as she stepped inside, peering down the hallways as if looking for someone.

"Who's this little cutie pie?" The woman said as she gave Catherine a warm smile.

"I Cafwin! You Uncle Lou-ie's giwlfwiend?" I heard the woman laugh and she nodded.

"I am! Now can you take me to your 'Uncle Louis'? I'd like to see him!" Louis jumped up from the couch and hid behind it before I even knew what was happening. I couldn't contain my laughter.

"Jeez Louis, spaz much?" I giggled and he stuck his tongue out at me again.

"Shhh!"

Just then Fizzy rounded the corner with Catherine and who I presumed was the infamous Eleanor Calder. Man, I understood what Louis saw in her. Long chestnut hair fell down her shoulder in waves, and big hazel eyes framed long curly eyelashes. She looked like a model, tall and slender with alabaster skin.

"Oh, um, hi!" She said as she noticed me sitting on the couch.

"Hi." I said back as I shifted my gaze to Lou who was slowly creeping out from behind the couch as Eleanor turned in a circle, obviously looking for Louis.

"I'm Eleanor," She said smiling and extending her dainty hand for me to shake. I returned her smile and shook her hand.

"I'm Samantha." I said as I sat back down on the couch.

"Is that your little girl in there?" I smiled proudly and nodded my head.

"Yeah, it is."

"Well she's gorgeous, she actually reminds me of someone I just can't put my finger on who..." I felt my chest start to contract. Oh god, why did Catherine have to look so much like damn father! This was what it was going to be like, huh? The rest of her life she wouldn't be able to go anywhere without people drawing the comparison.

"I get that a lot, I guess she just takes after her dad more than me..." I saw El give me a puzzled look as if she were trying to put the pieces together in her head, but before she could ask any questions, a pair of strong arms wrapped around her waist and picked her up.

"Louis!" She shrieked as he dropped her back to the floor and she wrapped her dainty arms around his neck.

"Hello beautiful! Long time no see, eh?" He grabbed her face in his hands, brushing the hair out of her eyes with his thumb.

"I missed you so much.." She said, tears starting to fall down her cheeks.

"I missed you too, sweetheart." He slowly brought her face to his, pressing his lips to hers softly. I turned away, sure that they wouldn't want me to be watching this. I felt my heart twinge. So many emotions were running through me right now. Pain, love, despair... and memories. All kinds of memories came flooding back to me while watching the two of them, so in love. An ongoing theme appeared through all of these flashbacks. Harry. The park, his house, grade school, parties, and finally ending with the airport. I felt tears peppering my eyes and I slowly got up and walked to find my daughter. I just wanted to hold something that belonged to him.

* * *

"Jay, this food smells amazing!" Eleanor exclaimed as we all took a seat at the large dining room table.