Hero

Katerina Morgan never expected her life to end so soon.

It started off like a normal camping trip did; roasting marshmallows over the fire, and heating up hot chocolate as the family told ghost stories.

Katerina had set up her sleeping bag in the grass, where she'd left her ukulele. She walked over to it and picked it up, bringing it over to her spot on the log that she shared with her cousin Emma. Aunt Betty and Katerina's mother, Janet sat beside each other on the log across from the teens.

"What will you play for us, Katerina?" Janet asked her daughter, and Katerina smiled widely.

"Something I wrote in my room,"

She started off playing the instrument softly.

"I'm no Superman, I can't take your hand
Can't fly you anywhere you wanna go, yeah
I can't read your mind like a billboard sign
And tell you everything you wanna hear, but
I'll be your hero
I, I can be everything you need
If you're the one for me
Like gravity, I will be unstoppable
I, yeah I believe in destiny
I may be an ordinary girl without her soul
But if you're the one for me
Then I'll be your hero"

"That was beautiful, darling," Janet said, kissing her daughter on the forehead when she finished singing.

"Thank you," Katerina replied. "I'm going to go get some more wood for the fire. I'll be right back,"

"Emma, dear, go with her," Aunt Betty said, and Emma followed Katerina through the clearing in the woods.

"There's gotta be some around here," Katerina said. "There," she nodded her head toward the little ditch filled with wood and leaves, and Emma pulled a few branches from inside. "Per- AHH!" Katerina's foot slipped on a wet log, and she plummeted down the ditch.

"Katerina!" Emma cried, dropping the wood she'd only picked up two minutes ago. She looked over the ledge at the miraculous sight of Katerina Morgan hanging from a tree branch by her feet, like a bat.

"Go get my mom!" Katerina sobbed, and suddenly, the only thing that was holding her up—the branch, which entangled her feet—snapped.

*

Hello! I'm so excited to start this story! I absolutely LOVED the show, and I figured there wouldn't be many fanfics yet, so here it is! Julie and the Phantoms was INCREDIBLE. All of the songs are amazing, and I can't wait to add in some of Katerina's talent.

Please keep in mind, Katerina's songs obviously are owned by real artists. Also, if anyone would like to help me out with a soundtrack for this book, (other songs than the Julie and the Phantoms songs that will be strictly for Katerina's use) that would help so much!

-Angelina