Chapter 17: Off to the Races

A/N: Thanks to those that have read up till this point in my story. I truly appreciate the support. Things will get more interesting in the chapters to come. ;)

_________________

It was him.

I had tried to forget the others but he still remembered vividly who I was. I even tried to pretend I was not startled by his presence but I froze. When did he make it to Rome?

"Troy, nice to see you again," the voice continued. I slowly turned on my heel to behold the young man with neatly cropped strands sweeping over his forehead.

"Hyros." The words slipped past my lips and into the chilled air. He was starting to resemble....Forget it. I was trying to forget him.

"How are you?" he implored. He walked up to shake my cold hand. A wide smile parted his lips. I shuddered to think of how to answer such a question.

"I am doing fair," I voiced softly. "Things are starting to look up," I added, casting my gaze downward. "I see you made it to Rome... and you got a haircut too."

He nodded. "Good to hear. I myself arrived early this morning," he beamed. He pointed at the pool's edge. "You looked like you were strategizing on the field there." I picked up my striped towel that I thrust on the ground.

With a shrug I replied, "Just me being, Troy. So how are you and the others fairing?" I inquired.

"I do not know. I presume they are doing well. We all went our separate ways. Selecius stayed behind with Titan his brother as he recovers in an inn. Some of us men lulled the boat over to a nearby cove closer to the shore to protect the ship from further winds and to bunker it down for winter. Unfortunately the boat had a hole and some water filled the hull so I do not know if that ship we spent countless time on will last. Nevertheless, we managed to grab as much as we could. Jason and I even hired a caravan driver to lull the rest of the cargo to Capua. It was at Capua that everyone separated."

"What happened to Theseus?"

"I think he is in Rome. He said that was his last stop on his trip. I have yet to see him though. The last time I seen him we did not see eye to eye on things," he replied.

"It seems like a long time since I spoke to him. I miss him though," I said with a sigh.

"I know you do. He certainly has not forgotten about you. He kept asking about you the day you walked off. I do not know if he really misses you or your fare on the boat expedition," he snorted.

I frowned. "Please do not remind me," I said shaking my head. "I have no way of paying him back yet."

"I am certain you will find a way. You are a smart boy...I mean young man," Hyros corrected.

"Thanks," I replied with a half-smile.

"You are most welcome. Well, it was nice conversing with youuuuu..."

"What?" I asked, perturbed at Hyros befuddled gaze out into the pool. He seemed to be easily distracted.

"Is that Clitus?" he exclaimed.

I shrugged. "Yes, you saw correctly."

"He knows you are here too?"

"Why of course. He was traveling with me." Hyros shook his head in disbelief.

"So are you his new owner?" Hyros snorted.

"What are you talking about?" I had to catch myself from snickering at the lunacy of such an idea. I could have pretended to be his master but I highly doubt Clitus would take well to the suggestion.