Chapter 25: Finding Roots

"As men we are quick to point out the differences amongst us and them. That somehow we are of more noble merit than the other. We will find when we step into the vastness of the cosmos that we are not as unique as we have previously thought. Sooner or later we will find out how similar we really are and how connected our souls are truly bound."

Similar words Miletus once uttered in a journal were being uttered by Menelaus. His tone was soothing and rich with expression as if he brought the words back to life.

"I know this may be a shock to you." Shock was an understatement. I could hear his breathing grow heavy. Those greenish-gold orbs peered into mines. I looked away. If he was looking for a positive reaction he was sadly mistaken.

My voice grew tight. "I have to go."

His brows furrowed. "Are you going to wait for Julian at least? I thought you two had plans of some kind."

"Julia, were you still going on that tour," Brutus blurted from behind. She gripped her mouth to keep her jaws from hitting the floor.

Menelaus glared at Brutus. "What are you talking about?" he muttered.

"No, she is not going," I answered, my tone coming off brisker than I intended. I could barely look at Julia anymore. I still liked her maybe even loved her. If Menelaus was in fact my grandfather's brother then Julia was my cousin, twice removed! Just then Claudia sauntered into the room. She smiled in my direction before winking at Julia.

My heart sank. She knew I liked Julia already. I had to leave before I lost the little dignity I had left.

"Back so soon from Julia's home," Caetus cooed as I arrived back at Claudius' home. I looked up to find him smirking. "How was it?" I escaped an embarrassing situation only to be taunted by Caetus. This was not my day!

"Nothing worth talking about," I replied brusquely.

His grin faded when he must have realized I was not in the best of moods. Just then Clitus came walking out the other end of the shadows of the tablinum; his steps shuffling against the cold tiles.

"Clitus would you mind helping me with the horses? I know you are fast in removing those horse shoes," Caetus called out to him. Clitus did not miss a step as he turned his back to us in proceeded into the airy courtyard.

"What is his problem?" Caetus muttered under his breath. He shook his head in disbelief at Clitus' insolence as he turned back to face me.

"That boy can be more stubborn than a mule when he wants to be. No wonder Diotrephes said we can have him," he hissed. I bit my lip.

"Troy. Maybe you could talk to Clitus and see what is wrong. He usually talks to you before anyone else. Not even Claudius can get him to open his mouth," Caetus muttered.

"He is not going to talk to me if he is mad," I replied matter-of-fact.

"Well then if you do not want to talk to him then you help remove the horseshoes. I want to eat my meal before it gets cold. I barely had anything to eat this whole day."

"If it's Rufus, I am not dealing with that horse. He likes Clitus better. Besides you can handle him," I muttered. The last time I took that horse I nearly had to beat him to listen to my commands.

"I would handle him, but he is being unusually troublesome today. You know what Troy; I do not know why you or Clitus are even here in the first place if you are not going to help. I am doing all the chores!"

"Well you are the slave. That is your responsibility," I reminded.

"And we hire you for what? To be lazy?" he snapped. I waved him off. I was not in the mood to put up with his mouth. I left the room making my way into the courtyard looking to settle matters with Clitus. Up above, I could see Ofelia fussing with her hair as she stepped out into the 2nd story balcony. She seemed not to pay us any mind as she slipped back inside her chamber up above.