Chapter 44: Last Stand

A/N: I hope you enjoy the thrilling conclusion to Chasing Blue. Don't forget to leave a vote or comment if you like it.

_____________________________

Part 2

A whisper came from the rumble. Across the street were heaps of stones piled high above my head. I crawled into the heap of stones to find him crouched under a crag. We both crawled inside the small space formed in the ruins. My hand quivered with the dagger. One false move meant death.

We waited. Footsteps converged. I held my breath as my grip tightened on the dagger. We could hear them scour the ruins, tossing stones. Then an argument erupted between them over who was more incompetent. We waited for the squabbling to quiet. Diodecios was the first to peek out when the space grew quiet. He gave me a nod, motioning me to crawl out. My bandage unraveled, revealing the crusty brown scab on my knee.

Then we heard voices again. We scrambled back into the ruins, when a familiar voice rang out.

"Father!"

It was Julius. I swung around to see Julius running towards his father. Both men embraced as their mother threw her arms over the both. Now it was three of them huddled together, sobbing. It was difficult watching his mother weep because I feared I would lose it. Through her streaming tears, a weak smile parted her trembling lips. It was the first smile I saw from her in a long time. She could hardly form words before breaking into more sobs. She didn't have to say anything though. The words were felt. Then Julius turned to me. Red rings colored his irises.

"We were looking for you. I kept telling myself you would not abandon us," he said, his voice quivering.

"You found him." He walked over to hug me.

I hugged back. "No. He found me."

His heart was beating just as fast as mines.

"Thank you," he mouthed. "Thank you."

"You know I would never abandon you," I uttered, steadying my voice. "We should have stayed together. But I am so happy to see you alive." Julius nodded, loosening his grip to rub his eyes. His mouth spread into the widest grin. For a fleeting moment I forgot my own grief as I smiled back. There was a new overwhelming sense of joy and it was just as strong as pain. Instead of tears of pain it was happiness. Everyone was here...except the girls.

I waited for him to collect himself before asking, "Is Athena still with you?"

"Not anymore. She twisted her ankle when we were running from the quake. I was carrying her most of this time until it got to be too much. So, I placed her down by the storefront and told her to wait there while we gather food from the storehouse. When I came back, she was gone."

My mouth dropped. "What?" I hope Maximus found her; otherwise I would have to face two angry husbands. "Look you do not understand. Maximus is looking for her. He would want her back. That is why he came back."

"Then why would he leave her, Troy?" he asked folding his arms.

"It is a long story," I replied. "I came back to the island with him. He is expecting to reunite with his wife. It the least we could do," I said with a sigh.

"Well, what if her heart belongs to someone else?" he asked. I faltered.

"Julius, Troy," his mother called, turning to face the two of us. "I am certain Athena's husband found her. She would not run off with a stranger. I am certain the young lady is in good hands," she said with a sigh. I hope she was right!

"We are together now. That is what matters," the father said wrapping an arm around Julius. "There is so much I missed these past several months, including the goings-on of my son," his father said with a smirk. His parents shared a smile. Poor Julius' cheeks were giving him away as they flushed bright red.