Chapter 36: Spring Fever

Hades had claimed Philemon months earlier. Now it was Hyros' turn as Death added a new victim. He didn't care if they were the people you cared about most. He did not care if you were at the prime of life. He just wanted to devour you. And now Hyros would die alone. His family and friends would never get to see him come home. He would lie to rot on a deserted beach. Forgotten.

"You know much I hate goodbyes," I sighed. I looked down at his grave, dropping to both knees. "I cannot believe you are gone. This all feels like a bad nightmare that I wish I could wake up from. I wanted to save you but I couldn't. I hate that you left me to finish this journey alone. Why did you have to go? I wish you would say something, but I suppose you have nothing to say!" My hands quivered as I gathered the small stones laying in the dirt. I arranged them to spell his name.

H-Y-R-O-S

It marked the site the earth consumed him. Now everyone that would pass here will know his name.

"I am not letting you go down without honor. They will not forget you... I won't." I was not able to honor Romeos' untimely death by the hand of his executioners but maybe I could honor this soul before me.

"Stop the ship. Troy is coming!"

I turned around to see Jason who was onboard the ship, yelling at the crew. The last anchor was ripped out the sandbank as the ship bobbled with the waves. The ramp was already removed. I had to get back on the boat. Hyros would have wanted me to. He was always fearless. Now I had to be the brave one. I had to finish the journey for him.

"I'm coming," I told Jason. I staggered to my feet, before scrambling over to the sea. My feet plunged into the frigid waters that submerged my ankles. With the water rising to my knees I grabbed onto the rope swaying from the top deck. The tightly woven cords dangled with my weight as I swung in midair. I could see the crew waiting anxiously as I dug my fingernails into the rope. Every time I pulled my weight up, the sandals slipped against the rope.

"Hold on, Troy. Pull him over!" Theseus ordered the men on the other end of the rope. Hyros death had taken so much from me. But I could not show the men I was weak. As I swayed back and forth, I heard my name. They were chanting for me. With the last bit of strength, I planted my swinging feet onto the rounded hull. One of my legs slipped from underneath me. My sandal slid, plummeting to the sea below. I sucked in a breath as I fought to prop both feet on the rising incline. I continued to scale up the rope, planting one foot ahead of the other along the side of the hull. I reached out and grabbed hold of the smooth railing that taunted me above. My other hand still clung to the rope. I looked up and saw Maximus' outstretched hand, dangling.

"Grab hold of my hand," he instructed. I faltered. "You have to trust me," he continued in a calm voice. I nodded, before letting go. He reached out and grabbed my hand. Our hands locked. Without a word he pulled me over the edge of the railing. As I tottered against the railing, he and another fellow grabbed my legs and torso over the edge. I sighed in relief once I plopped onto the deck. With both feet on deck I already won half the battle.

Jason walked to my side as the rest of the men huddled into a tight circle. Theseus took front and center. All eyes were on him. He looked up into the waving sail that blended into the milky skies. He closed his eyes shut, before bowing. His lips quivered but his throat didn't utter a word. Jason bowed his head as I too followed suit with the others. Together there was a collective silence as we remembered a fallen comrade. Our minds could hardly fathom what truly happened that night to Hyros nor could words explain such a senseless death to a man that was so full of life. He always taught me to be fearless so one day I could fight my own battles... but now he was gone and I was uncertain whether I wanted to.