Chapter 31: Dark Side

I was the one that followed the rules. I never wanted to start a fight let alone a war.

I shook my head. "I don't understand. Why do you need me to help you?" I asked.

"Are you tired of following the rules?" he asked, staring right through me. He must have read my mind. He knew me too well. It scared me a little.

"Sometimes," I uttered stiffly.

"Look. Things cannot continue as they are in the island. You and I both know the system is corrupt. We are both victims of it and now our loved ones are left to languish."

"I know the justice system is unfair but there is nothing you or I can do about it," I countered. "As soon as we step foot back onto the island you and I will be executed!" I exclaimed picking up my dagger that lay at my feet.

"And their lives are not worth the risk?"

I was stabbed again. The dagger never felt as heavy as I did it now in my hand. How could I fight him when everything he said made sense? What was I even fighting against? I tried so hard to forget them all. Deep down I knew Julius' life hanged in the balance. His father was imprisoned, his twin brother was executed and there was no telling what befell his mother. It was easier to forget their ill fate while I slept comfortably at night.

An unnerving silence followed.

Just then Marius came strolling in with his towel wrapped around his waist. His smile quickly faded the moment he saw Maximus. Before I could blink, he was gone. Moments later two, older hairy men walked in. A sigh of relief washed over me. Maximus rolled his eyes when he realized I would not give him an answer.

"I am late. I was supposed to meet with a friend," I muttered. Maximus plopped his hand against my bare shoulder.

A hollow laugh escaped his lips. "You are quite clever thinking you could run away again!"

"Who said I was running?" I mumbled.

"If you are not scared I dare you to meet me at the Hollows Den in the Suburra district. There I will answer all the questions you have. I know deep down you are scared and uncertain. But before you say no, I think you should at least consider my proposal unless you are still scared of the dark?"

"No. But..." I shook my head. This request was bigger than me. I turned my back to him.

"But what? Are you scared my friends will find you before I do? If you are on my side you won't have to be in fear anymore that some unsavory character might follow you home and assault you," he said. His words froze me before I could make my escape.

I swung around to face him. "Where is it?"

He smirked. "Excellent! I knew you would come around. Listen carefully to the directions I am about to give you. And remember please come on time. I hate when people do not keep their appointments."

"You do not have to do this, Troy. It's a trap!" Marius called out to me as I walked out the baths bundled in a wool black cloak. I scampered across the narrow street, nearly missing a wheelbarrow plowing through the road. I paused to let the owner pass, who muttered curses at me. I made it to the other side but not before Marius could catch up. The close knit buildings seemed to sway into a blur. I could hear his wheezing behind me as he waddled towards me. The walls in my head were pounding harder than my heart.

"Not now Marius. I have to do this," I said, letting out a deep sigh.

"You don't have to prove anything to him. We are sorry if we poked fun that you were being a coward. I am sorry for laughing. But from what you told us and the little we know about him he is dangerous! Even I am not smiling," Marius said pointing to his solemn expression.