Chapter 20: Falling Slowly

"It is final."

The words came crisp and clear from the baritone voice of the mature man that loomed over the round table. His words rang with authority; finality. It was decided one of the male slaves would be used to escort Julia. It was the safe choice. It was the familiar decision that made everyone sprawling on the plush sofa to feel at ease. A sigh of relief escaped my lips as I looked at Julia and then at the man who I assumed to be her father. After the slaves came to take away the plates littered with crumbs and thistles, the mother escorted the younger boy out of the dining hall as the rest lingered to chatter.

"Troy, Clitus. Can I have a word with you men?" the father asked, beckoning with his middle finger. I eased myself from the red cushions of the round couch as Clitus slowly got up from his slouching position. We followed the father as we pushed past the velvety curtains screening the dining room from the courtyard. The garden here seemed to come alive as the stars shone above in the heavens.

"Thanks again for stepping in and protecting my daughter. I hope you men do not feel slighted that I did not choose you men to be my daughter's escort. I just wanted someone that she already knows her boundaries with. You understand, right?"

"That is completely understandable, sir," I uttered, as we walked along the tiled pathway that wrapped around the potted shrubs. After all with our vigorous training schedule there would be little time to escort his daughter.

"You can call me Augustus," he answered briskly. I nodded politely as I walked under the awning of the draping roof and through the arched entrance down the hallway. "So I missed the part where you talked about yourself. Where are you from?" he asked curtly, holding a goblet of his wine in one hand.

"I live here in Rome," I answered.

"Oh. Were you always residing in Rome?" he asked scrunching his thick brows.

"No. I am from the isles of the Aegean Sea."

"Ah. I assumed you were not from around here," he replied, stealing a sip of alcohol down his throat. Was it that obvious? Was it the way I looked. Or was it the way I spoke?

"What about you, Clitus?" Clitus eyes widened. I knew the question was going to come whether he wanted to answer it or not.

"I am from Greece near the region of Thessalonica."

"I see. Do you have someone you have to answer to?" Clitus shook his head no. "So you a freeman like Troy?" he asked bluntly.

"Yes," he answered softly. Augustus nodded slowly.

"So what brings you men to the city?"

"Travel. We both boarded a merchant ship bound to Italy," I answered prudently.

"I see. I have done my fair of traveling the world when I was still serving in the army. Do you have plans on returning to your homeland?"

"No," I answered coolly. Augustus nodded silently as he put his glass down by a lampstand. The polished surface looked just like the porcelain one back at home.

"You love my furnishings do you?" he answered dryly. I quickly shifted my attention away from the pearl elephants holding up the small table. A dim smile cracked his rather stoic face, which was so devoid of emotion.

"I do. Your house is beautiful. The best house I have seen in Rome yet," I said managing a weak smile that escaped my lips.

"This is nothing compared to the Imperial Palace," he scoffed. "I am glad you like my home though. Maybe next time I could give you two a proper tour of my residence," he smiled.