Chapter 34: Ides of March

My body rattled with every bump and groove the wheels hit. I looked around my seat, only to find no trace of the letter. Where was it?

"I thought the outskirts of Rome had better roads then this," Hyros blurted aloud before resuming his banter with Theseus. I sighed in relief only for my head to erupt in a throbbing headache as the wheels jostled over a dip in the road. Where was the letter? I exhaled a hot breath as I continued digging through my bag. How could I lose his letter?

"Looking for something?" Theseus asked.

"A letter," I sighed.

"You mean this?" Hyros asked, waving the parchment in my face. "You should be careful that this does not end up in the wrong hands," he added with a smirk.

I snatched it from his hands. "Thanks!"

I unraveled the letter, squinting at the small scribbled handwriting sprawled across the parchment. Sunlight was fading. With no lamps on hand the only light was the full moon. I glanced around the open pastures. Not an inn or home in sight.

"We should have stopped at the last trade post. There might have been an inn," Theseus muttered. "There is nothing out here but open stretches of land," he sighed.

"It kind of defeats the purpose to go backwards," Hyros remarked. "Well, while you two figure it out, I am retiring to bed," he said pulling out his wool blanket. Our driver brought the chariot to an abrupt stop next to a grove of trees. Owls hooted from the treetops upon our arrival. I could not see them, but they could see us. I pushed aside my growing unease as I clamored for my wool cloak. We were alone in the wild; with Rome long behind us. I sharpened the blade of my dagger before securing it in my sheath. We could not afford to take chances. There was no telling who or what lie in the dark.

There was shouting as I found myself engrossed by the mob. In front of us a young woman trudged her feet across the stone paved courtyard. Her blue eyes glistened with tears as she looked back at the scowls that greeted her. She never looked so frightened; so vulnerable. Some whispered while others wagged their heads. What did she do to deserve their displeasure? Titus stood in front of the crowd with his arms folded against his chest. Why was he not stopping the cloaked figure that was leading her to the center of the public square? What kind of husband was he? His look of conceit disturbed me. The guard's burly hands cupped Priscilla's dainty wrists before spinning her around to face the crowds. He tied a blindfold across her glossy eyes. But their disdain burned through the cloth. The crowd's chants were growing louder and more fervent. I squeezed through the mob, hoping to get to her before they did. I had to save her. Titus picked up a round stone from the ground. His eyes squinted as he licked his lips.

"Stop!" I shouted, pushing against the crowds to get to Titus. I had to stop him!

He flung it aiming for her head.

"Move!" I cried.

Boom.

My eyes flew open. I was back in the chariot. There beside me was Hyros and Theseus slumbering away tucked beneath their blankets, undisturbed. I took several deep breaths, waiting for my heart to settle. I forced my eyes shut but I could not fall back to sleep. I was more scared of my mind then the outside. I kept thinking about her.

Priscilla.

I had no choice but to go back to Aegea.

I kept on guard until dawn broke. It was not long before our driver awoke and began our ride to the nearest inn. It was a chance to refresh ourselves and eat some food we bought to bring along. There were only a few miles left in the journey. Hyros and Theseus could not understand why I was silent the last leg of the journey although the driver mostly went without words. I let my eyes drift to the open expanse around us, absorbing the scenery of laborers tilling the soils of the villas belonging to the rich. Flocks of birds took to the skies, settling on the swaying branches of the trees. For the first time in a long time there were no sounds of noisy cattle or the sounds of goods being carted in wagons. Nor the sound of children playing or adults bickering or conversing. The only sounds were of birds chirping in the distance or the rustle of a slight breeze against the tree branches. Here in the vastness of the wildness I found peace. With the letter tucked in my sheath I pulled it out. I was ready now.