Chapter 26: Speechless

I could not avoid the pain forever. It was time to go home. My real home. So, after spending two nights with Theseus I made the decision to pack my belongings and leave the following morning. Theseus was still slumbering away on the cot while I placed the bag of coins in the burlap sack. It was better if I left quietly. I hated goodbyes. It was easier this way. As I hurled the burlap sack around my left shoulder, my stomach gurgled.

I will eat when I get out on the road. I just need you to stop making noise!

"You are leaving already?" Too late. I turned back to find Theseus rubbing his eyes in a circular motion. "And with hardly anything to eat," he added with a yawn.

"I was hoping to start heading out now. It will be quite a walk. I did not want to announce my departure," I answered softly.

"I wish you could have told me sooner. I could have given you at least a parting gift," he sighed.

I shook my head. "You did not have to give me a parting gift. After all I owed you for your hospitality these past few days."

"You do not owe me anything, remember? And besides you are a guest in my residence. Guests are always welcomed," he said extending his hands out.

"Thanks for everything. I greatly appreciate it... I never like this part; the goodbyes," I muttered.

"Do not think of it as goodbye but more like see you later."

I decided not to venture into my new flat much to Theseus' surprise. My plan to have a place of my own was no longer appealing anymore. There was still one place that called my name and I had made up my mind to return to my roots. It was an arduous walk through the bustling narrow streets, lugging my heavy baggage with every step. Most people seemed not to notice the expanded burlap sack flapping against my back as they carried on with their daily activities except for a few. A group of boys clothed in dingy knee length tunics standing along the butcher shop kept pointing at me as if I was some spectacle. Thinking they were poking fun I continued walking on as if I did not notice them. Perhaps their parents had not taught them good manners. Just then the older boy out of the three asked if I was a racer. I stopped in my tracks while the other boys rushed over to greet me with their hands caked in dirt and grime.

I saw their toothy grins staring up at me as I patiently tried to answer their questions about being a chariot racer. It all seemed to be happening in a blur. As I nodded my head to their childish rambling, I noticed a cloaked young man walking towards us. His light greenish colored eyes seem to glow as he caught sight of me. Immediately I awoke from my stupor as he continued staring at me as if he knew me... as if he could peer through my soul and reveal all the secrets I was hiding. However unlike the young boys, his look was not of admiration but of suspicion. The more he stared, the more uneasy I grew. Suddenly I wanted to become invisible again. I must go. I parted with the boys giving them a hasty excuse before disappearing into the crowds. Somehow fame had lost its glimmer.

"Greetings Troy. Did you have an appointment?" Brutus asked as I stood outside the entrance. I was so anxious about seeing my extended family again that I could not form the words I wanted to say.

"He does not need an appointment," Julian interjected. Brutus bowed as Julian came into view.

"Troy. Good to see you again," he exclaimed. I dropped my bag at the foot of the door. Julian reached over to hug me. As I reached out to grab my bags, Julian motioned for Brutus to take them instead.

"Where is he taking the bags?" I asked.

"To your new room," Julian answered.

"Thanks. This may sound silly, but I had already purchased an apartment."