Chapter 30: Ultimatum

Hyros sighed before resting his hand on the latch.

Click.

My heart stopped. Hyros body was the only thing blocking the man from catching a glimpse of us on the couch.

"Who is that?" Marius muttered aloud. Realizing his own folly, he clamped his mouth shut. Meanwhile I sat immobile with the cup still in my right hand. If the man was not sure anyone else resided here, he knew now. Marius leaned in to whisper, "I hope it's not Maximus! You have to hide Troy!"

"Where?" I whispered back. Marius flung the blanket over my head before I could rise from the couch. Then the door flew open as the man followed Hyros' hand gesture. Too late.

"This is Marius and another lad named Troy...." Hyros' voice trailed. I quickly lifted the blanket from my head and flung it on the couch, with half falling on Marius' lap. "The Messenger would like to say a greeting to you men, but it appears Troy is on the reserved side," he added. Marius sprung from his seat, bursting with laughter. I looked up at the cloaked man as he peeled back his hood. His dull brown eyes stared at me with curiosity before he glanced over at Marius who clutched his belly as he doubled over. My cheeks flushed.

"We thought that... well I thought," Marius could not continue before he fell over onto to the couch, laughing.

Hyros gave a coy smile before walking over to pat Marius on the shoulder. "Excuse my friends. They had one too many drinks."

Once again, I was made to be the fool. It did not matter what I felt as long as they had their fill of amusement. I got up from the couch without giving them another look. "I have to go," I muttered under my breath.

Behind me I could hear Marius call out, "Troy. Come back. You forgot your tunic you changed from." I spun around to find Marius had followed me into the foyer encircling the courtyard. He still hadn't wiped that ridiculous grin from his face.

"You can keep it. Apparently all of this is so funny to you all!" I snapped.

His smile twisted into a frown. "Sorry for laughing."

I exhaled an exasperated sigh. What should I expect from Marius who thought everything was funny? I turned my back to him. "I am going home with my real family. This will never be home."

"If you wish it. Be safe out there." There was a tinge of apprehension in his voice which was a rarity even for him. A lingering voice in my head told me that he meant every word.

I thanked him before making my way down the passage of steps that took me back to the bakery. The smell of leftover baked bread still teased me although I reminded myself I already ate. Through the arched doorways, I got a glimpse of the first white flakes that fluttered from the sky. As I neared the countertops to get a better look, I saw a man appear around the corner of the adjacent block. Unlike the scattered men who stopped at neighboring shops to converse or buy foodstuffs he seemed to wander without a clear destination. I peered closer. It was Maximus! From his vantage point he was directly across the bakery. The thought of being discovered turned my blood to ice.

My elbow banged against a table. I stroked my elbow when a hand plopped on my shoulder. I almost jumped out of my skin. I spun around to find Hyros.

I breathed a loud sigh. He studied my face as I tried to regain my composure. I was failing miserably at pretending.

"I almost thought you left already," he said finally. He faltered before continuing. "Look Troy. Marius felt bad about what happened. Here is your tunic you came with. I insist you have it. You can have my wool cloak too. It's cold out. I do not know how long the sweet wine will last to keep you warm."