Chapter Twenty-Two: Happy Birthday

We saw everyone out and Harris assured me that everything was fine between us and I shouldn't worry.

"It's okay." I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. He hugged me and left.

"Did we miss anything?" Paul asked gesturing between him and Safra.

"No." I crossed my arms. "Let's go Paul, its 11 already and I'm really tired." I held my forehead in my palm.

"Yeah, dad has called so many times already."

~*~

Safra went home and I plopped into the couch. My head was still spinning in different directions so I made some tea...then I went to bed. My dad and mum promised to reprimand us for coming home later than the curfew.

My bed felt lie heaven and I was sure I was gone, when I heard a clink sound on my door. I opened the window and a small stone hit me in the face.

"What the..." I screamed.

"Sorry." I heard a familiar voice say. I looked down and met a familiar icy blue color.

"Hardin what are you doing at my house?" I asked angry.

"Came to give you my birthday surprise to you." He scratched his head.

"Yes thank you, but I love my face." I attempted to lock my window but he threw another stone.

"Please just come down, please. I'll explain everything." He pleaded. I gave in knowing this would not end well.

"Start explaining." I cross my arms. He held me by the arm and dragged me off. We entered an empty restaurant that was dark.

"Close your eyes." He said.

"Hmmm... I will, but don't dare kiss me or touch me!" I closed my eyes after seeing him nod.

"Surprise!" he exclaimed and the lights came on, balloons and confetti fell on me. I smiled and soon it fell, I didn't want him to know he just won me back.

"Thank you, can I go now?" he still kept his grin.

"You haven't eaten the food, not to talk of the cheesecake." He sat me down on a decorated table. It was beautiful with a candle stand, bouquet and a pretty table cloth. Plus, the food did sound delicious. He ordered it and I dug in, he bought it for me right?

"I had a trip."

"What?" I said my mind and mouth savoring the taste of the cheesecake.

"I said I had a trip, it was more of a work trip." He repeated.

"Where did you go?" I asked still eating but looking him straight in the eye.

"Uhm..." Hesitation, one. "It's a small remote town actually, doesn't really matter." Hiding the truth, two.

"Why are you lying?" I asked dropping my fork noisily and wiped my mouth.

"I...I'm not...I'm not lying; why would you think I'm lying?" he ran his hand through his hair.

"Why are you nervous if you aren't lying?" I countered. He breathed.

"I'm not nervous okay, something happened with my brother and I had to go take care of it, you satisfied?" he wasn't telling the whole story but I knew the pain in his eyes were real.

"I'm... I'm sorry." I breathed. "It's just you left such a..." I hesitated to tell him about the paper and my suspicions. "You ghosted me, never visited me once, missed my birthday, although now I'm saying it I realize you threw me this. But it doesn't still justify that you just left and never showed." I cast my head down.