C1: Getting To Know My Family

Rye's parents had an urgent business to handle in New York so they moved there, which meant new school, new training facility, new enemies...

Meet Rye Vander Waal, daughter of Ricardo and Catherine Vander Waal. One of the greatest Mafia Leaders to walk the earth. They were like major celebrities but no one had really seen their kids since they were young, so moving was safe for them.

"Mum, I can't find my curler." Rye calls out to her mum knowing no one else could have it. She was surrounded by boys. She had two brothers, Damien her 19-year older brother and Paul, her 16-year-old younger brother. People most of the time thought they were twins cause' only a few moths separate their births.

"Yes baby, check the lower zip of your bag." Catherine replied.

Catherine was in her late 30s but still looked like someone in her early 20s. Her friends who were in the same chain of business, still couldn't believe she had four kids.

"Thanks mum." She yells back as she sights her curler right where her mum said it would be. Rye was starting her new school the next day and she had already planned out what she would do.

#1. No friends "Can't be trusted."

#2. No boys "To prying"

#3. Never reveal the secret "Could lead to war."

"These are the most important rules." Rye sighs. I'm ready. I breathe.

I was starting Chesterfield High. It was a good and prestigious school; legend says the rich and sometimes the 'cute' rule the school. But there was no letting them know her means of splendor. If it were up to her, she wouldn't let anyone know they were that rich but their house gave them away.

It was a huge house, more of a mansion. 50 people could live in and not complain about space or personal space. Thank God, my family isn't one of those crappy rich families that have to wear ball gowns, high heels, and all those royal nonsenses. My parents appreciate our style and allow us to express ourselves. Rye thought to herself.

Rye's POV

"Are you seriously still wearing suits, Damien?" I asked my elder brother as he came down the stairs in a suit that looked like it was worn way before my great grandparents were born. Damien was the only one in the family who loved to dress his status.

"Have a problem, sis?" He replied coldly.

"Nope." I said popping the p. I didn't like to get on his bad side, it was terrible.

All of us had finished unpacking our bags and our dad called for a family meeting. They were very important. Above all dad put family before anything and never liked if someone if someone defied that.

"Tomorrow Rye and Paul will start their new school, while Damien takes over the clubs." He starts. Apart from being a Mafia, my dad also had a chain of legitimate businesses. He said they were important to fall back on incase of any losses with the mob. "So, Rye, Paul. Remember we have both seen and unseen enemies. Be careful who you are friends with and who you tell things. There are a lot green snakes in green grasses everywhere. And never forget family comes before anything." He adds and we nod in unison. Then he turns his attention to Damien.

"And you will be in charge of all the clubs in this city that are under my name. Guard it safely and mind who and what goes in there." He states. Damien nods.

We proceeded to our new fighting dojo. Ever since we were young our parents began training us in self-defense. In case there is a scenario where we were in the least vulnerable. My brother was the strongest but I was the most persistent. My dad often said if I were not a girl and maybe if I was the first born they would give their fortune to me.

Paul was a different case scenario; he was lazy but never failed a match or missed a challenge. We guessed he was probably fighting in his room but we never caught him doing anything except sleeping, playing PSs or whatnot in his room, so we eventually gave up.

"One day your secret will be revealed." I say as I see Paul slouching and plopping on the couch next to him.

"As I said before, I have good memory and I can learn a move without acting out. I practice every time I have a challenge or match. That's why I never turn down a challenge." He said nonchalantly. "Now you would understand that if you weren't so clingy."

My brothers were sometimes asses but I still loved them regardless and they loved me. I remember middle school back in Canada, they got suspended because they were protecting me from a boy that seemed to lose all his senses. We had gone to a party. They insisted on coming and I thank God they did. If not. Yes, I could protect myself but I was too much in shock and then blah blah, blah, they were suspended.

Overprotective was an understatement when I was in trouble. I use it every time to my advantage, especially when I need a ride. I tell them a boy broke my heart and bam, they rush and I'm there. Easy peasy.

I was kinda sad that Damien was not going to school with me anymore but I still had Paul. Damien was starting college soon but not too soon.

"Yeah, yeah. I understand 'fast learner'." I said sarcastically and also air quoting fast learner. He glared at me but I know he couldn't bear to do anything to me. I laughed mentally.

*

**

Psst....

Is it weird I only found out this word today .... Nonsenses,

Comment if it is also your first time.

Well anyway, feel free to vote, comment and tell me if you love the story.

It really means a lot to me.