Chapter Fifteen: Your Shell Is Cracked

Safra's Pov

Rye's birthday was on Wednesday, but she absolutely hated parties. I'm her best friend for something right. I'm gonna plan her the best birthday party ever. She's turning 17. Paul! I'll ask him to help me, it is going to be the greatest party ever.

"Hey Rye." I said opening the door. "Have any ideas for our project?"

"Yes, I was thinking we could hatch live chicks while taking a video of the process." She said holding out a pamphlet.

"It's due on Tuesday, so I guess that's great." I said.

"Tomorrow we can go get the eggs. So what do you want to do with the remaining hours we have?" she asked settling herself on the couch with her legs on my lap.

"There's a fair open downtown, we could go there. It's still 6 o'clock."

"Alright. Let's go."

~*~

"That was way fun." I said laughing loudly as I stuffed my face with the chicken burger I got.

"Fun is an understatement. It was exhilarating."

"It's too late for you to go home."

"I'll stay at your place today." She said shrugging it off.

"So how was your 'not a date'?" I asked and I swear I saw her flush. She was clutching a necklace I have never seen on her before. "Did he get you that?" I gasped.

"Yes. It's beautiful right?" I had never seen her so excited.

"You like him don't you, Rye?" I asked concerned.

"I don't know Safy. One minute I'm hating him for being my enemy, the next I can't get enough of him. It's so confusing." She sighed.

"Don't worry, you'll figure it out. Now let's watch a movie, eat some popcorn and sleep." I unlocked the door. A party will certainly take her mind off things.

~*~

I spent the weekend making birthday invitations, guest lists, decorations and picking her dress. It was a stressful weekend. Rye was coming over for girl's night. Today was the perfect day.

She was bringing the eggs, we postponed it to today, Sunday.

"Can I bring Paul?" she asked over the phone.

"Yeah sure. Why would you ask, this is as much his house as it is yours?" I was going to give Paul the invitations so he would share them at school tomorrow.

"K, be there in 5." The line ended.

5 minutes later.

I opened the door to a beaming Paul and emotionless Rye.

"I came here to play your VR games. Is the room still available?" he asked.

"Yes it is. Just down the hall." A surge of disappointed flushed through me. I could feel my face burn red, only Rye noticed it.

"Thanks." He disappeared down the hall.

"Don't worry I'll hit him where it really hurts later." Rye nudged me. I smiled.

"That would be befitting." I faked an accent.

She set the camera, Rye was well off with tech stuff. We had our own channel back in Canada, it had tons of followers. We were the sisters of the school, everyone admired our friendship.

"Hi class, so this our A+ project. We are going to hatch chick eggs." We performed the whole operation, it was easy due to the fact that we bought pre-modified eggs. Yeah, we'll do anything for an A+.

"The chicks are cute." Paul said coming from the corner.

"Yeah sure." I spat. He gave a confused look. Seriously, he doesn't know what he did.

"O...kay. Anyone hungry?" he asked.

"Hey Rye, wanna go out for Pizza? Or should I order two small sizes?" I asked totally ignoring him.

"I think ordering the two small would be nice. I really don't want to go out."

"Alright." I picked up the phone.

"Uhm... did I do something wrong?" he asked his expression serious.

"No, why do ask?" I sarcastically asked dialing the order number.

"I really feel like I did something wrong?"

"Hush." I started. "Hello, Is this the Domino's pizza?" I asked.

"Yes, please what would you like to order." I placed the order, everything was two each.

It arrived in 5 minutes.

"Paul, a moment?" Rye asked. I was hoping it was to hit him hard.

"Wait so you seriously don't know what you did?" she asked.

"No, not really." He said. He was so clueless, yet cute.

"You come to the house of the girl you like and obviously likes you, only to go play a VR game. What'd you expect her to do to you, it's not like she can't hit you. She has manners." She explained.

"That explains why she flushed pink when I asked for the game room." He said running a hand through his hair with one hand and pocketing the other.

"You saw that?" Rye asked and I felt my cheeks burn with embarrassment.

"I thought I imagined it." He started. "I'll go apologize."

"What? That's all you want to do for her?" I couldn't make out what they were saying anymore. They talked for a while.

"Rye, the pizza's is getting cold." I yelled.

"Coming." She started. "...exactly what I said." She ended shaking her brother.

"What were you guys talking about?" I asked taking another piece of pizza. Paul gave me a small smile which I ignored.

"Nothing much." She replied. It didn't matter now, it was getting late and school was tomorrow.

~*~

Rye slept early, so I decided to watch a movie. Paul was awake so he joined me. We watched Wonder Woman. I loved movies that had strong female leads and super heroes were really my thing. I unconsciously laughed and talked with Paul, he seemed to enjoy the talking to me part.

The movie was coming to an end and I started to feel sleepy. I laid my head on Paul's lap and it was comfortable. He stroked my hair and I immediately fell asleep.